QL Pico VGA

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Pico VGA

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:32 pm Your earlier photographs show the Mini VGA board soldered to VGA pins 1-5, whivh should support the VGA and Pico RP2040-Zero.

A wire link from GND to VGA pins 6,7,8 and wite links to HYSNC, VSYNC.
No. The PCB directly connects to pins 1 to 10. Pins 13+14 are wire links. Please read the schematics and my previous posts.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:32 pm I thought the converter could be fitted into this type of D-Sub case:D-Sub Shell.jpg
That looks nice. At the moment I only have one which is much larger and the others too small.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Peter,

I looked at the Gerber files in Kicad Gerber Viewer (Gerbv), I noted that pins 6-8 are soldered to pads on the PCB, not clear on the photo. Which should make construction easier.

I will see if I have the time to make one.

Regards,

Derek
Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Hi all,

this morning I was hit by heavy jetlag so I used the extra time for QL-ing.
All parts have been waiting on my desk for completing the VGA adapter, so I assembled it and I am happy that everything works really well!
VGA Adapter.jpg
Thanks to Oliver for releasing the project to public and thanks to Peter for the perfect PCB.

Enjoy the Sunday.

Stephan

Jack_Free
ROM Dongle

Post by Jack_Free »

Unfortunately, I'm not good at electronics.
Will it be possible to buy a ready-made device somewhere?
Does anyone plan to sell a finished piece?
Thanks for the information.

Sinclair QL + SGC, Sinclair QL+QL-SD.
Excuse my English, I use google translator :-)
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Jack_Free wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:33 pm Will it be possible to buy a ready-made device somewhere?
Not from me, but I'm working toward a slightly larger, more easy to build version, which would make that easier.
Jack_Free wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:33 pm Does anyone plan to sell a finished piece?
Quite likely yes. But probably not the extremely miniaturized board I presented here.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Finally found the time to order a nice D-Sub hood for my miniaturized version. Type Conec 16-001810E. It has an optional side cable exit, the cable relief for it should be filed off a little. With the circuit fitted, it looks like this:
qlminivga_case.jpg
And the completed QL to VGA adaptor cable:
qlminivga_complete.jpg
Had I waited for a black cable, it would be perfect. ;)
Last edited by Peter on Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppe
Trump Card

Post by ppe »

Peter wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:11 pm With the circuit fitted, it looks like this:
Looks absolutely amazing! What a great piece of kit!

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Peter wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:11 pm Finally found the time to order a nice D-Sub hood for my miniaturized version. Type Conec 16-0018E. It has an optional side cable exit, the cable relief for it should be filed off a little. With the circuit fitted, it looks like this:
That looks fantastic!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The new case looks great.

I could only find CONC 16-001820E, here is the data sheet.

*** Data Sheet removed

I will get some PCBs made.

I just have to find a way of powering the adapter from an unmodified QL with all the video lines connected. Most modern VGA LCD monitors have a USB connector. which could be used for powering the adapter board or a mobile phone power supply would do.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:02 am I could only find CONC 16-001820E, here is the data sheet.
Sorry, I made a typo. I used the Conec 16-001810E, now corrected in the original post.
The 16-001820E is obviously wrong width, not a good idea to post the datasheet here. Hope people are not confused now.
Last edited by Peter on Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.