Metacoco Lisp Manual

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Metacoco Lisp Manual

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I converted the really awlful scan of the Metacomco Lisp manual PDF from an internet download site.

But the person who scanned gge manual, did scan all the pages, 2 pages are missing and the quality of the scan is really bad on 10 pages, where the scanning is degraded and is unreadable.

To complete conversion of the manual, I may need the paper manual, if anyone has a copy of the Metacomco Lisp manual, I would appreciate either scanning of specific pages or borrow the manual for short period of time.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Metacoco Lisp Manual

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have managed to type 3/4 of the book, but pages 22, 23 are missing, so I do not know how to progress this.

I am looking for other Metacomco Lisp manuals, on Atari ST, maybe the manuals are similiar.

I noted in the text of the manual there is LOGO support, which I have not seen in other QL compiler systems.

Regards,

Derek
andreamagnoni
ROM Dongle

Post by andreamagnoni »

Hi to everyone,

I also join Derek's request.

I've been looking for a readable manual of the Metacomco LISP software for years, I could only find a scan on a Spanish site (I think it's the same source used by Derek).

What I don't understand is why in 2023 there is still talk of copyright rights for a computer that has not been successful in sales (.. I bought it in 1987).
In my opinion, and I think others also agree with me, to ensure an eternal life to the software it should be made free to everyone and whoever owns books/software should share them with everyone.

If we look at other cases like BBC Micro, Atari and the ZX Spectrum itself (ZX81), almost all the software is available (as well as the books).

In the case of QL most of the software is still under trade and only in small quantities, without taking into account the high costs.

Greetings to all users

AM

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thought we'd throttled this issue a long time ago, but like so many subjects relating to QL it keeps going round and round in circles, ignored by everybody until it jigs their interest or affects them.

One word: COPYRIGHT. Like it or not, it's still the law in most countries. I take it you're a law breaker, then?

andreamagnoni
ROM Dongle

Post by andreamagnoni »

I start by saying that my interest in the QL is only nostalgic, it's the first semi-professional PC I've used.

..a reason why I would like to use QL software: it would bring back memories of when I was young but I couldn't afford certain software because I had no money at that time...

I myself when I wanted to restore my ZX81 I regularly bought the necessary parts from the English site SellMy** without going around with my face covered like an outlaw.

My thoughts turn to software: we are not talking about latest generation software, but software from 36 years ago, written by people now almost retired, without taking into account that some have now passed on to a better life.

By now it is customary to release obsolete software that only a few lovers/interested ones will use.

But if we stick to the word COPYRIGTH for the QL then we are simply talking about software/hardware destined for oblivion.

Talking about COPYRIGHT, especially for software that can now be classified as abandonware, makes little sense in my opinion.

It's as if someone wants to keep interesting things to themselves by putting them in a sort of time capsule and then leaving it closed forever.

I don't think Microsoft blocks sites that distribute Windows 1.0 or Hewlett Packard that censors the roms of HP-41/ HP-71b / HP-4** calculators or the first winzip; they only release software because it is no longer profitable.

I close this discussion by saying that this is my free opinion which can be shared by others or rejected by still others.

Regards

PS: Dilwyn I want to thank you for your admirable conservation work

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

*MODHAT*

This discussion on copyright has been done to death on the Forum, thats keep this topic in LISP manual! Can move arguments about the validity of COPYRIGHT to Off-Topic channel!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have the manual half OCRed, but there is some badly scanned pages that are unintelligible, and some pages muissing.

This is a hard one to do, does any one use LISP?

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I looked again at the Lisp manual, but I can read scanned text. It is to badly scanned.

If anyone has a QL Lisp manual, I csn scan it easily.

Regards,

Derek
twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by twellys »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:14 pm This is a hard one to do, does any one use LISP?
I use Emacs (Text Editor) which is written in Lisp. All the my modified settings are actually just in Lisp file.

So, I have some knowledge...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I think ELISP has differences from Common Lisp.

But I doubt this would help with the rubbish scanning of the QL Lisp manual.

Regards,

Derek