sQLux v1.0 (The Xmas Turkey)

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
XorA
Site Admin

Re: sQLux v1.0 (The Xmas Turkey)

Post by XorA »

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 23.07.44.png

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

This looks nice :-) I must test this on my uQLx (installed on my former main PC), cause I'm nearly sure it does not work. But try the "COPY" example (to an existing file) to be sure that overwrite works (on a WIN device, of course it works on RAM disc).

As (without TK2) overwrite was not supported by a BBQL (pure QL) on Microdrive, many programs programmed around this by first deleting the old file, and then create the file newly with the same name and write it (e.g. Spy and MasterSpy editors). But newer programs may fail on an original uQLx when trying to overwrite a file on a WIN (and FLP?) device.

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

ql_freak wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:43 am This looks nice :-) I must test this on my uQLx (installed on my former main PC), cause I'm nearly sure it does not work. But try the "COPY" example (to an existing file) to be sure that overwrite works (on a WIN device, of course it works on RAM disc).

As (without TK2) overwrite was not supported by a BBQL (pure QL) on Microdrive, many programs programmed around this by first deleting the old file, and then create the file newly with the same name and write it (e.g. Spy and MasterSpy editors). But newer programs may fail on an original uQLx when trying to overwrite a file on a WIN (and FLP?) device.
sQLux file handling code is almost 100% uqlx with a couple of bugs fixed. But nothing that should affect this!

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

ql_freak wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:12 pm It should be sufficient to create a new file from SuperBASIC, and then try to OPEN_OVER from SuperBASIC:
OPEN_OVER is a TK2 command and thus not standard available in Minerva.
However according to the Minerva manual an _OVER action can be created by a third parameter (page 21 of my copy).
: OPEN channel, device, 3 : will act as overwrite.
This third parameter has the same effect on OPEN_IN & OPEN_NEW.
0 - as OPEN, 1 - as _IN, 2 - as _NEW, 3 - as _OVER, 4 - as _DIR.

BSJR

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

BSJR wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:38 am OPEN_OVER is a TK2 command and thus not standard available in Minerva.
My example states clearly:

Code: Select all

110 Requires SuperToolkit 2
;-) But in the meantime I was able to start UQLX on my old PC :-D And XorA is right, UQLX supports overwrite on the WIN device. What is not supported is creating directories on a WIN device. Even if you have a SuperToolkit 2 with the MAKE_DIR command, it does (at least on older versions of UQLX) not work, see in this thread.

Does SQLUX support creating directories on a WIN device? As I'm running UQLX on Windows Subsystem for Linux (NTFS formatted) I cannot use the native file system (which supports creating directories).
BSJR wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:38 am However according to the Minerva manual an _OVER action can be created by a third parameter (page 21 of my copy).
Now that you tell it, I remember, there was an extension in Minerva. But I think it's better to use the SuperToolkit 2 procedures and functions as IMHO no other QDOS compatible system supports the Minerva versions of OPEN with 3 parameters while SuperToolkit 2 is normally always available.

GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Does SQLUX support creating directories on a WIN device?
No the file magic should be functionally identical to uqlx!

desin
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by desin »

the Qjump ramdisk supports subdirectories
a must for ACP and unzip
qjump_ramdisk_211.zip
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Greetings from Switzerland
Markus

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

That's unfortunately not a solution. Assume the following scenario: I create the new Project "My Do What I am Thinking App" (MDwIaTA - BTW: Are the caps correct in British English?).

Of course I must create the project in my project directory on my "hard disk". So I must e.g. (DATED$ returns the project directory) type:

Code: Select all

makedir'MDwIaTA'
That's unfortunately not possible with UQLX.

badaman
Over Heated PSU

Post by badaman »

I appreciate the good work being done with the sQLux emulator. Yesterday I compiled the latest version without problems on an old PC Asus EeePC 901 with Xubuntu 32bits.

Would it be possible to incorporate the Spanish keyboard into the emulator? This would be perfect for me and other people in Spain.

If I can help in any way to make it possible, I am available.
Attachments
QL-EeePC901.jpeg

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

sQLux can have its keyboard setup in the squl.ini or .uqlux.rc file with th e entry:

KBD Select the keyboard language. Valid options are GB, DE and US. Defaults to US

Or is as Spanish is unsupported, get the Minerva Support Disk from the QL Homepage and load the Minerva Spanish Keyboard overlay on booting up Minerva.

Regards,

Derek