SGC successor brainstorming

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: SGC successor brainstorming

Post by Peter »

Hi folks,

it's been a long while since we discussed this, but it was not forgotten...
tofro wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:10 pm [*]I could completely live without microdrives, with the limited supply of cartridges, there's not much point in them. SD is a perfect replacement
[*]No need to have much on-board ROM other than a small loader - Load the OS from card
[*](at least) VGA output is a must. High-color and Hi-Res up to 800x600 (not much more) is a nice option.
[*]I'd like to see the network retained
[...]
[*]Allowing video double buffering in smaller resolutions would be nice (two screens, ideally movable)
[...]
[*]I don't see the need for a floppy interface once you have SD cards.
Implemented.
dilwyn wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:04 pm We need a reliable dedicated video connection to allow existing commonly available monitors to be used.
Implemented.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:22 pm I would like the same functionality of the Q68 on the QL.
I think Ethernet can be disregarded, connection can be achieved via a fast serial port to a PC.
The main upgrade of the QL would be a HI-Colour VESA display, with similar display modes of the Q68.
The new board to run SMSQ/E.
Implemented.
stephen_usher wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:44 pm Basically, if it had all that the SGC(clone) has but add DVI/HDMI video output and an SD card interface (hard disk) that would be ample.
Implemented.
Cristian wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 am What will be the name?
HyperGoldCard?
PlatinumCard?
DiamondCard?

:)
Something with "Gold" in the name indeed...
Nasta wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 am This goes without saying, the 8301 ULA should be forgotten. Trying to build something around it is far more trouble than it's worth and for a 80s-of-previous-century result.
Agreed.
olifink wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:14 am
  1. RAM
  2. PS2 or USB Mouse port
  3. Battery backed RTC
  4. SD card for getting programs in from a PC that downloaded them (ie. it can read fat32 dos files)
  5. EPROM slots or SD for loading ROMS
Implemented.
FrancoisLanciault wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:56 pm In other words, what I would like to see the most for a SGC replacement (and as I said I understand I might be alone here) is more speed and memory [...]
Implemented.
dilwyn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:47 am Personally, my "ideal solution" would be a Q68 that plugs into a BBQL, like the QIMSI's "mini-Q68"
[...]
I can dream :geek:
That was close. Sometimes dreams come true.

The result might be a small surprise... watch this forum ;)

Peter

FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

Starting to put money aside today! Whatever that small surprise is, I am sure it will be very cool.

François

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Wonderful news Peter. You have been busy!

Looking forward to the big reveal Or small reveal ;)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
napsternds
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by napsternds »

Waiting for more news with high expectations.

Thank you Peter

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Peter, this is creating needs at the forum members :D
I already receive Emails ...

Stephan

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Wow Peter!! Great as always!

Out of curiosity, two questions:
. Will it have a high speed rs-232 output (qimsi style "ser4")? (I believe I understood that yes).
- If it has video, memory, keyboard/mouse... Will it also be able to work autonomously (without the QL)?

It will definitely be a "must have" expansion for any QL enthusiast.
Maskenlos wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 pm ... this is creating needs at the forum members
I already receive Emails ...
:D ... many of us are eager for an "ultra-super-gold-card".

By the way, I've been 'playing' with my QIMSI for the last few weeks, and I wanted to publicly express my gratitude to Peter and Stepah for this great development. I now have my QL-GC and my Q68 with a KVM switch sharing a good keyboard, mouse, VGA, QLNET, RS232, .WIN volumes, ... and everything flows wonderfully. This is awesome! But if we add what Peter is discussing about the successor of the SGC, I think our minds are going to be blown. :D :D

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Great news, let know how I can support the project.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

afx wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:27 pm Out of curiosity, two questions:
. Will it have a high speed rs-232 output (qimsi style "ser4")? (I believe I understood that yes).
Yes. And it has higher throughput now, if used directly with Minerva or SMSQ/E on the accellerated CPU.
afx wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:27 pm - If it has video, memory, keyboard/mouse... Will it also be able to work autonomously (without the QL)?
Yes. But my primary target is the QL.

By now, I have announced it: viewtopic.php?p=56909
afx wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:27 pm By the way, I've been 'playing' with my QIMSI for the last few weeks, and I wanted to publicly express my gratitude to Peter and Stepah for this great development.
Many thanks. The new card is based on QIMSI, but with 32 MB SDRAM and highres/highcolor graphics, it is a different league...