Issue 6 board updates

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Popopo
Trump Card

Re: Issue 6 board updates

Post by Popopo »

klausfrank wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:05 pm Hi,
I have the corrections Tony Firshman wrote about, I could place them here, if interested . Otherwise you can find them in the Service Manual I put together, it is the largest version of the S M in Dilwyn’s documents.
Klaus
I am interesting on it.
Do you mind to post it?
Thank you Klausfrank

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

And now...
After getting axial capacitors, sockets for RAM and xtal X1 from China... long wait :)
I got a new doubt...
Often there are some thumbs on boards for oscillators or xtals that have a pin for GND... well... it happens to me that in some ZX boards when I connected them to this pin the system stop working, also in Commodore Amiga 500, so I shouldn't connect those Xtals to GND... but here we go... Issue6 replica had this pin connected to GND and I have no idea if I should connect the chassis to GND or not...
Here is a picture to illustrate the question:

Should I connect chassis to GND?

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Hi everyone...
after trying to document about when should a chassis oscilator be connected to GND or not... I got the answer for this particular case...
The answer is... DO NOT CONNECT!!! anyway! never XD

They were careful about and placed a piece of plastic between the oscillator and GND as it is shown in my Issue 5 board.

klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

Hi,
As promised, here are the corrections posted by Tony Firshman.
Corrections by Tony Firshman.pdf
(683.65 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Regards Klaus

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

For the crystals - I use a small air gap and then a blob of silicon or glue just under it, but avoiding the pads for the 2 crystal contacts - or if I have spare ones - the plastic spacers.

It's a good idea to have the crystal mechanically solid on the pcb and not rely on the leads to support it on their own. It also stops any possibility of the crystal acting like a microphone.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

A slight digress from the thread, but Tony Firshman has a Trouble Shooting Guide on his web site:

http://tfs.firshman.co.uk/ql/trouble.htm

This might be worth looking at.

Regards,

Derek
Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

klausfrank wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:54 pm Hi,
As promised, here are the corrections posted by Tony Firshman.Corrections by Tony Firshman.pdf
Regards Klaus
Thank you very much!

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Pr0f wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:58 pm For the crystals - I use a small air gap and then a blob of silicon or glue just under it, but avoiding the pads for the 2 crystal contacts - or if I have spare ones - the plastic spacers.

It's a good idea to have the crystal mechanically solid on the pcb and not rely on the leads to support it on their own. It also stops any possibility of the crystal acting like a microphone.
Good idea...
plastic seems great, sometimes I use this layer that women use for nails. Do you know what I mean? with acetone that is easy to remove if needed. But... plastic... so nice and easy.

klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

The pages from Tony Firshman about troubleshooting “ QL Troubleshooting “ are also in my version of QL Service Manual amongst others.
Regards Klaus

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have OCRed the QL Service Manual, inserted Martyn's Appendix D5.

I have to update all the diagrams, from scanned images and updatd the QL board layout and schematics for Board issues 5,6 by Silvester.

I have an Issue 7 QL, which would nice to update the manual with the update, but this is a bit of work.

Here is the perliminary version, I will update the in due course.

QLSM01.zip
QL Service Manual in PDF & ODT formats
(6.63 MiB) Downloaded 59 times

Regards,

Derek