QSound and QPrint Interface

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QSound and QPrint Interface

Post by mk79 »

Here you go guys, ROM v1.94 with the HW I/O registers relative to ROM again. There have been a few other fixes as well that I noticed during manual code review, but nothing you should really notice.
Attachments
qsound194.zip
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Works fine from any expansion slot, everything else OK as far as I have tried it. The only thing that is a bit odd is PLAYING function breaks Basic with 'channel not open' if PLAY never initiated, rather than 0 or ERR_NO returned from function.

Suggestion: use PB1 output for selection of 'chip' (wire PB1 to AY#1 'A8' pin and also AY#2 'A9' pin). Unused inputs PB5-7 for chips/type. Leaving AY#1 unused IOA output pins for frequency selection.

Edit: BTW the frequency is out by factor x2 (AY Fclk=0.75MHz), measured with frequency meter: SOUND_AY 1,1994,15 outputs 998Hz, SOUND_AY 1,1995,15 outputs 1020Hz. Tone tables also: to get middle C (261.6Hz) you need to play F i.e. PLAY 1,'v10o4F'. Middle C is tone register value 180.

David
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

While working on some documentation for the Qsound driver on QPC2. I made a slightly patched version of the Qsound demos to make them work in QPC2.

I don't know if this has already been done, but here it is.
Attachments
qsoundDemo.zip
(6.2 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I have been trying to document the Qsound driver for QPC2. The document I have attached here is intended to be eventually merged into another document.

Could you have a look at it for any errors or omissions, and give me some feedback.

While writing it I found some bugs in the Qsound code in QPC2. I don't know how many of them Marcel already knows about.

I have highlighted the problems, also I have highlighted a command description I am not sure if I have got right.

I have also included a live patch for QPC2 v5.02 / SMSQ/E 3.38 to fix the AY_CHIPS, AY_TYPE, and the RELEASE bugs I spotted.
Attachments
QsoundDocs.zip
(115.97 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Good work.
Would it be OK, once it's complete, to merge this into the big SMSQ/E manual at https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/docs/ebooks/index.html ?

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

dilwyn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:38 am Good work.
Would it be OK, once it's complete, to merge this into the big SMSQ/E manual at https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/docs/ebooks/index.html ?
Sure.

I'm currently working on an update to my QPC2 Keywords, and Concepts documents that are on that page. That's what started this, and that's where this document will end up.

Here' a LibreOffice copy, If anyone wants to do a version for the real Qsound card.
Attachments
QsoundNotes.zip
(40.74 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I've found the problem with the SOUND_AY command, when using parameters in QPC2.

Here's an updated Live Patch program. I have also included a BASIC program that displays the contents of the AY-3 registers, so you can see what's going on when you enter commands.
Attachments
LivePatch.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Here's an update of my Qsound driver notes.
Attachments
qsoundDocs2.zip
(177.51 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi Martin,
Thank you for the Concept Notes on QSound. For some time, I have contemplated a revamp of my QBITS QLSound Prog and after reading your notes I feel that might be the route to take swapping QSound keywords for the QL BEEP command.

QBITS

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Hi all,

I was recently playing around with my QSOUND interface and want to share the outcome:

- The start screen shows the ROM message "ABC electronic (c) 1986 version 2.0" I thought it is newer than the here shared version 1.31. But v 1.31 seem to be from Jochen and (c) 1987. If someone wants to compare I attach the dump here. Note: the File is 16kb, where as it seems it would fit into 8kb.

- The QSOUND I/F was not compatible with the ZX8301 replacement developed by Leon. The 2N2222 transistor was to slow to pull up DSMCL line. He proposed to replace by 2N2369 which solved the issue.

Best regards,

Stephan
Attachments
QSOUND20.zip
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 73 times