Solved: QL psu cord

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Solved: QL psu cord

Post by dilwyn »

The power supply diagram I made is on my website now - http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/hardware/qlpsu.png - and has been altered to add the power supply label from a USA QL as well as a British one.

Next, can anyone help me with the details from a European QL? I presume the output voltage to the QL will probably be the same, but the nominal mains input details may be a little different to the British one.

I was a little surprised to find that this information wasn't already in the public domain, at least if it is I haven't found it yet. There are a load of photos of QLs and accessories on Urs's photo gallery website but haven't yet found a photo of the label on a European QL PSU.

ppe
Trump Card

Post by ppe »

dilwyn wrote: Next, can anyone help me with the details from a European QL? I presume the output voltage to the QL will probably be the same, but the nominal mains input details may be a little different to the British one.
Mine is originally from Finland and has the following information on the label:
IN: 220V ~ 50Hz. 0.22A
OUT: 9V. D.C. --- at 1.8A
OUT: 15.6V A.C. ~ at 0.2A

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Mine (German MGG QL, Samsung made) says the same. And, in contrary to what is on the Computer label, it also says: "Made in England". So they are probably all the same.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
poiex
ROM Dongle

Post by poiex »

I got my transformer which i planned to use in QL but find a problem there's four wires coming out of the transformer two is 12vac and other two is 9vdc how can i connect those to QL because it only have tree pins, i know now the midle one is gnd(0V) but how does it affect if i connect dc gnd and one of the ac lines together, does my transformer go boom after that?

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

If you're building a whole new PSU, things get interesting. The QL on-board power regulation was never the best, but it's now approaching 30 years old.

You can safely feed >13.5v DC into the 15.6v AC line and it will work just fine. As soon as it hits the bridge rectifier inside, it's all the same.

poiex
ROM Dongle

Post by poiex »

Thanks for the information of the dc current it makes it little easier now to build new transformer.