Z88 power supply

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Z88 power supply

Post by Sparrowhawk »

My Z88 power supply has gone AWOL over the last few years. I've no idea where or when. Annoying, as I have a collection of power supplies for a whole bunch of stuff that I no longer even own, but I do still have my Z88 :D

Could somebody please tell me the spec for a replacement so that I can order one?

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Z88 power supply

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:28 pm My Z88 power supply has gone AWOL over the last few years. I've no idea where or when. Annoying, as I have a collection of power supplies for a whole bunch of stuff that I no longer even own, but I do still have my Z88 :D

Could somebody please tell me the spec for a replacement so that I can order one?
The specification of the power supply. It should be 6.5v 500mA, maybe 6v may do it.

But check Rakewell

http://www.rakewell.com/z88/z88hardware_p.shtml

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I'd err on the higher voltage side - the Sinclair PSU puts out about 6.5V, but 7.0 or 7.5 Volt, but the polarity is important! There is NO protection in the Z88 for reverse polarity - so check the documentation. From memory (and please don't rely on this info) it's the opposite of most common supplies.

Actually Rakewell site says centre positive - so that's normal for a lot of supplies.

ones' complement
Trump Card

Post by ones' complement »

Z88psu.jpg
Ideally you want one with an LED. I added one to mine since it was too easy to be unaware you were running on batteries and the mains switch wasn't on :?

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thanks everyone, I'll go look for some online and if you don't mind before I potentially blow up the Z88 I'll post links here for what I've found for advice/confirmation before I press buy.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have another little job to fit Rom and internal ram upgrades to 2 of my Z88s.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I've done this on a couple of machines now, it's a worthwhile modification, but depending how you do it, it could mean cutting tracks. I also replaced the super cap with a larger value one, along with lower power memory devices, this extends the battery replace time and battery life, as the old supercaps are a bit leaky on quiescent current

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Just had a quick look on eBay for Z88s and accessories, feeling a little nostalgic after getting rid of my Z88 some years ago.

Like many retro systems, the prices they go for somewhat amazed me!

ones' complement
Trump Card

Post by ones' complement »

dilwyn wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:20 pm Just had a quick look on eBay for Z88s and accessories, feeling a little nostalgic after getting rid of my Z88 some years ago.

I occasionally look at Z88 on Ebay and it does appear fickle, some long standing listings are pricey but once in a while one goes under the radar and goes quite cheaply.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

dilwyn wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:20 pm Just had a quick look on eBay for Z88s and accessories, feeling a little nostalgic after getting rid of my Z88 some years ago.

I have 2 Z88, which I have to upgrade, I will get them done and see if anyone want one.

Regards,

Derek