Q-Emulator for Mac

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: Q-Emulator for Mac

Post by NormanDunbar »

You might be getting them soon, in that case: https://www.howtogeek.com/microsoft-sta ... tart-menu/ has details.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Thanks Norm, have turned them off in settings based on that link

If that doesn't stop them it'll be ok for me at least as I don't use start menu

I do all my stuff on Mac, I wouldn't even have W11 other than needing it to run utilities and the odd emulator for a short period

I recently purchased a 2nd hand W10 mini-pc (some drivers I needed wouldn't work in an ARM virtual W11) which I'll probably move the tools to, so I don't have to keep paying the parallels subscription

Many thanks

M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

kronos wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:01 pm Does a registration cove both platforms or has it to be licensend individually? I am using the temp key on Mac as well, but if a key woud be valid for both platforms, I would register now to support further development.
At the moment, there is paid registration and development only for the Windows version.
kronos wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:01 pm If the authors read this... AUnless you are using special Intel code in Q-Emulator, chances are high that you can cross-compile für Apple Silicon on your Intel Mac. You could even merge a x64 and arm64 builds into a universal build with the lipo tool. Only if you have for example Intel assembly in your code, it won't work. Let me know if you need any input on this, will happily share.
I tried that and it didn't work because some of the file system (and possibly other) APIs used by Q-emuLator have been discontinued by Apple. Even doing the work to replace them, there would still be many other deprecated API used (e.g. OpenGL) that will likely be discontinued in future versions of macOS. In any case, without an ARM-based Mac, it would be impossible for me to even know whether it runs and to offer user support.

kronos
ROM Dongle

Post by kronos »

Ah, I see. Unfortunately I am on Intel as well, so I cannot offer to test arm builds, at least not yet.
Would be a real shame if the Mac port vanishes, but indeed Apple is sometimes too easy on replacing API and introducing proprietary API. Wish they had for once simply adopted Vulkan instead of inventing another API, but well, that is not their way of solving things
Last edited by kronos on Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

I have an M3 MBP and would be happy to test, but it’s hardly an ideal dev model to have to rely on someone else for even basic testing.

But the offer’s there. :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
kronos
ROM Dongle

Post by kronos »

For the time being, perhaps doing tests with the current Intel version on Arm might be a good start. If QL-Emulator works on Rosetta, licensing of the Mac version could continue and perhaps raise some money to pay for an Arm Mac.
I must confess that I do not know whether Apple has stripped deprecated APIs from Rosetta, but this would actually be quite counterproductive. So, I would expect that all the APIs in macOS/Intel are in Rosetta as well.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

If QL-Emulator works on Rosetta
It does - I've been using it for months with no issues. Super stable. :)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:58 pm
And so does the windows version :-D

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:58 pm
I can second that

Also the windows version on W11 running in Parallels on an M1 MacBook is great too