Most probably the smallest "QL" ever!

A place to discuss general QL issues.
XorA
Site Admin

Re: Most probably the smallest "QL" ever!

Post by XorA »

Peter wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:03 pm The topic here seems "the smallest PC ever".
Obviously every Linux/Android/Windows box can run an emulator.
What is QL specific about all these boxes? We could as well search for the smallest Amiga, Atari 400 or ZX81.

Was there any QL compatible hardware mentioned at all?
there is quite a common feeling (not shared by me) that QL only exists in emulation now!

But maybe you can mention you upcoming really small QL?

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi,

Don't chuck out your original QLs yet ! Emulators are indeed very satisfying, but may make for sloppy, bloated coding.

If your emulator-writen programs work on true QLs or sgcs, then they will probably be compatible on most systems...

Backward compatibility makes for efficient coding ? Regards Steve.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

XorA wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:14 pm But maybe you can mention you upcoming really small QL?
The Qzero is a tiny QL compatible computer, and even smaller than a Raspberry Pi Zero. It works for years already and some friends use it, I just hesitate to go for a public release. So I'm not sure that I can call the Qzero "upcoming".

The whole board could be fitted inside a keyboard or monitor, taking no extra space. It is even smaller than the keyboard electronics in this example:
qzero_keysonic.jpg
Another example would be the Qzeo on a small basebord providing large standard connectors and fullsize SD card:
qzero_on_base.jpg
What I like about QL compatibles, is that they directly run Minerva or SMSQ/E, and the programmer has direct access to the hardware from QL side.

At the 40th QL anniversary, I'll try to present another new system. Maybe even ready for public release, if I find time to write docs.