Match Point Corrupt

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
t0nyt
Gold Card

Match Point Corrupt

Post by t0nyt »

Hi All

I've got Psion Match Point, but after a re-felt I find it's totally corrupt (I did find a vDrive image on-line, but that oddly seems to be partly corrupt too)

I was wondering if anyone might know where I might be able to download or buy an image of it please? (or if anyone has a working cartridge to sell please?)

Many thanks
Tony

t0nyt
Gold Card

Re: Match Point Corrupt

Post by t0nyt »

A bit more investigation shows the MDV I downloaded does work in Q-emulator

But comes back corrupt when used with vMap/vDrive

Also copying the files into a new MDV image ends up corrupt, so not going to have any luck with the download I think

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Managed to create a working vDrive image using Q-emuLator mdump_task, once I got my head around it, nice utility

Many thanks

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Has anyone managed to dump the Matchpoint image to a real MD with mdump_task please?

When I try to use MDs that format ok to a larger number of sectors than the MDV image I always get disk full

When I dir the MD after it fails, the total sectors on the MD match the MDV image (214) but it’s empty

Not knowing much, if anything, about MD/MDV layouts I’m not sure what to try next

Any thoughts please?

Many thanks

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

You have to use mcopy_exe to put an image back onto a real cart. Is that what you meant?

If you're trying to use mdump_task and save the resultant image onto a real cart then it is likely to fail because mdump_task will try to save an image file onto the cart (not the files/directory structure) and the resultant image files are very often (in nearly all cases) larger than the space on a real cartridge, because the image also contains alternate copies of bad sectors. 214 sectors/107k won't be enough - I think the smallest size I've ever had an mdump_task image is 113k, maybe 112k, so that would require a cart with 224 or 226 sectors.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Hi Chr$

I see I've got confused with mcopy_exe and mdump_exe (which is actually mdump_task now)

I'll follow up on this again

Thanks
Tony

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

After a lot of faffing around I finally managed to fully restore my Matchpoint master MD with QLone+ (from Toolbox II)

Useful tool if anyone is in the same boat of wanting to restore a master MD they own

It took more time to get QLone+ running from vDrive on the QL than the restore did, as it hung from the available mdv image, but managed to use QLOne+ itself in an emulator to create an MDV image of Toolbox II that the vDrive/QL were happy with

EDIT: vMap was also a necessity

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Be interesting to dump the Qlone+ cart of Matchpoint to see if the image exactly matches the dump of an original. I've never tried Qlone+.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Chr$ wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:08 pm Be interesting to dump the Qlone+ cart of Matchpoint to see if the image exactly matches the dump of an original. I've never tried Qlone+.
It uses 2 commands, 1 to copy the formatting and then 1 to copy the files (both only work between mdv1 & mdv2 so I had to use vMap 2 setting to set mdv1 as mdv2 and vDrive as mdv1)

On loading matchpoint I had to press the space bar a couple of times to get it to recognise the cart was a master, which I don't think I had to do with the original mdv image I started with. So probably not an exact dump.

Jbizzel
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Jbizzel »

Hello,

Is there anywhere to download this game now? I see many mentions of a download on this forum from a couple of years ago, but I can't see anywhere online to get this now?

I think it is freely available for all other systems it was released on, so presumably in the public domain.

And beyond it, the deep blue air, that shows
Nothing, and is nowhere, and is endless.

https://jbizzel.itch.io/