Gotek + tetroid SGC + DOS and CP/M images

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Gotek + tetroid SGC + DOS and CP/M images

Post by Sparrowhawk »

OK, so on to my latest head scratcher.

A while back I retired my SuperQBoard for a Tetroid SGC. And then I retired my dual disk drives for a Gotek. Eventually I hope to get a second QL and reuse those items, for that 1980s vibe ;)

So anyway, I have the Digital Precision library of programs and have created images of the PC Conqueror emulator and the Success CP/M emulator which load fine via Gotek.

Can I create DOS and/or CP/M images and have them sitting alongside QDOS images on the Gotek USB stick? Will it be able to access them once I am under emulation?
If so, does anyone know what the image specs are for these operating systems when running on these emulators? (there seems to be no end to the variety of disk formats for CP/M for example, and for Conqueror, along with the image specs, am I looking at FAT-12 or FAT-16 formatting?)

Thanks in advance.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Gotek + tetroid SGC + DOS and CP/M images

Post by tofro »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:48 pm
Can I create DOS and/or CP/M images and have them sitting alongside QDOS images on the Gotek USB stick? Will it be able to access them once I am under emulation?
If so, does anyone know what the image specs are for these operating systems when running on these emulators? (there seems to be no end to the variety of disk formats for CP/M for example, and for Conqueror, along with the image specs, am I looking at FAT-12 or FAT-16 formatting?)
Yes, of course you can place disk images of alternate OSs next to your QDOS images on a Gotek.

For MSDOS, it's relatively simple - Use FAT12 images - I think PC conqueror wanted 720k formatted disks, which is more or less the format Amstrad used for their 3.5" DOS floppy systems.

CP/M doesn't really have a "standard disk format". There's all sorts of varieties, as you rightly say. I seem to recall Success wants to see CP/M files on standard QL-formatted disks (in special image containers) and provides some commands to convert to and from some native CP/M formats.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thanks tofro, super helpful, as always :)

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but I don't recall seeing the Success docs on the DP Collection disks. Maybe I missed them, I will look again.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:11 pm Thanks tofro, super helpful, as always :)

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but I don't recall seeing the Success docs on the DP Collection disks. Maybe I missed them, I will look again.
Success Manual is here. Sounds sufficiently complex to get data to and fro...

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

tofro wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:21 pm
Success Manual is here. Sounds sufficiently complex to get data to and fro...
Thank you!

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

I used to use Success many years ago, I never had any problems getting files into the CP/M files are.

Is there not a SuperBasic command to manual copy the QDOS file to CP/M file.

Regards,

Derek