Oh dear

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

Oh dear

Post by dilwyn »

Guess what Dilwyn's going to be doing over Christmas? Not a lot judging by this... :cry:

Time to kneel and pray over my backup media I think...
HD failure
HD failure

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: Oh dear

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Ouch.

Just happened to me too. My almost brand new Linux laptop I bought myself for work had to go back in for repair (under warranty) as the SSD failed. Thank goodness for remote git repos and backups! Just got it back, waiting for ZorinOS 17 to go gold on Wednesday before I re-image it.

Did you lose anything important?

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Oh dear

Post by dilwyn »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:14 pm Ouch.

Just happened to me too. My almost brand new Linux laptop I bought myself for work had to go back in for repair (under warranty) as the SSD failed. Thank goodness for remote git repos and backups! Just got it back, waiting for ZorinOS 17 to go gold on Wednesday before I re-image it.

Did you lose anything important?
A couple of days since the last backup, that's all. The Windows Repair Media is running right now "Repairing Disk Errors. This might take a few hours to complete."
The music, documents and all QL stuff are backed up both to an external hard drive and to cloud storage. So, wait for a new hard drive if it proves necessary (if the WRM doesn't manage to restore the drive), and then the time to restore the backups.
Meantime, the laptop is going to have to work a bit harder.