IP Network driver

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: IP Network driver

Post by Martin_Head »

XorA wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:36 pm I am very interested in making sure the same driver works on QPC2 as sQLux! (assuming this isnt SMSq/e only) I know you found some bugs before!
I remember I did a special version for UQLX2017/18, But I can't remember off hand what was special about it. I will have to go and have a look.

Does the current version of the driver 1.14 work on sQLux?

The only real difference in the new version I am working on ,is that it has a level 1 config block to allow you to change the device and SuperBASIC extension names.

Is there a pre-built copy of sQLux available for an old 32bit Xubuntu system. The thought of trying to build it from the sources strikes fear into the heart.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Martin_Head wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:56 am The thought of trying to build it from the sources strikes fear into the heart.
Much like me and Passkeys. Have just read several articles about how secure and easy to use they are supposed to be. The articles put me right off and make them sound hundreds of times more complex than traditional password systems (talking about as a user, not a programmer).

I'll wait for a Computeractive article on the subject before I start using them. I usually understand those.

Sorry for wandering off topic.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Is there a pre-built copy of sQLux available for an old 32bit Xubuntu system. The thought of trying to build it from the sources strikes fear into the heart.
How old are we talking? I dont generally deal with Ubuntu or old versions or 32 bit being a linux developer :-D

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

XorA wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:25 pm
How old are we talking? I dont generally deal with Ubuntu or old versions or 32 bit being a linux developer :-D
Had a quick look for the install disks, can't find them. If I power up the Linux PC, It reports that it's 'XFCE V4.10 distributed by Xubuntu'. But I would expect it to be a good 10 years old.

I've recently downloaded some versions of Linux Mint that I can run as live distros. V21.1 64 bit, 3 versions, Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE.
Also V19.2 32 bit Cinnamon (not tried this one yet)

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Spent yesterday afternoon digging through old paperwork looking for any notes I made about UQLX with the IP Network driver. No luck.

Then spent some time looking at the driver source codes for the UQLX versions. Found 4, or 5 different ones. On one of them that reports itself as version 4 (the latest?), I found a couple of things that started ringing bells.

The TCP_ and SCK_ device names are different to QPC2. They are *TCP_ and *SCK_

In the routine NDR_BYTES in the source code, there are a few changes which involve preserving a couple of registers that the normal driver does not. I think it was to do with UQLX's IP system calls altering registers that QPC2 did not.

There are two versions of my driver, one UQLX2017, and one UQLX2018. Don't know what the difference is yet. I might try looking through old posts here, It might remind me. And I will fire up my old Linux PC and see how many different UQLX's are on there.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

The TCP_ and SCK_ device names are different to QPC2. They are *TCP_ and *SCK_
That is not the case for sQLux.
In the routine NDR_BYTES in the source code, there are a few changes which involve preserving a couple of registers that the normal driver does not. I think it was to do with UQLX's IP system calls altering registers that QPC2 did not.
This is something that could possibly be fixed, unless its QDOS itself trampling the registers!

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Martin_Head wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:18 am There are two versions of my driver, one UQLX2017, and one UQLX2018. Don't know what the difference is yet. I might try looking through old posts here, It might remind me. And I will fire up my old Linux PC and see how many different UQLX's are on there.
UQLX versions before 2018 used *tcp and *sck, versions after 2018-10-28 tcp and sck.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Thanks Graeme and Jan. Just spent the afternoon trying to do a combined driver that will include support for UQLX.

Graeme, Doe's my UQLX2018 version of the driver work in sQLux? If so then the the copy I have emailed you should also work.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Martin_Head wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:10 pm Thanks Graeme and Jan. Just spent the afternoon trying to do a combined driver that will include support for UQLX.

Graeme, Doe's my UQLX2018 version of the driver work in sQLux? If so then the the copy I have emailed you should also work.
Im just about to head off for a work trip, so might be a couple of weeks before I get to proper testing!