Qubide pc software issue Habi

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Qubide pc software issue Habi

Post by Pepperm »

Hi, some advice please

I am trying to use the qubide Habi software on windows 11 to read disc images but, if I select open disc to read a doc image I get a message that says I need to run in administrator mode. If I run as an administrator, the software never displays a user interface and just sits there in the background shown by task manager.

Is there a way to use this software on windows 11 or even a different piece of software that does the same job but also works on windows 11 please?

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Qubide pc software issue Habi

Post by Pr0f »

I've been having a lot of fun with Windows 11 recently - you could try running it in compatibility mode - you can chose from a number of back level versions - it also lets you chose whether to run it as admin or not and for all users or not - some really difficult software may require running in a virtual machine - and you have several choices there - Pro or Enterprise versions let you run Hyper-V, but Oracle Virtual box also runs happily in Windows 11.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Try...

Left Click on executable and select: Run as Administrator

This gives administrator permissions to the executable file.

Regards,

Derek
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Yes I have tried running in admin mode, that’s the one that just doesn’t present a UI but shows as a task in task manager, and I have tried various compatibility modes and the same happens with admin rights….nothing. I’ll try some more modes later, like a VM but don’t hold out much hope.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I can see if I can get this to run - may not be tonight - but probably by tomorrow evening I can let you know how I get on.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Works okay in Windows 10pro, I do not have computer that will run Windows 11.

I think you might have problems with the VM idea, Habi Editor needs to access the image file or disk directly, maybe VMware is a better option.

I only use Windows 10, to use Altium Designer, when I have finished with the electronic design project in Altium, I can dump Windows.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

well....

I have just launched the Habi software on another windows 11 machine and it launches in Admin mode now, without issue it would seem. I'll go back to the initial machine shortly but I am removing all sorts of "chaff" from it at the moment to see if that helps.

Now to work out how to add files from the PC to a partition to be accessed from the QL.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I was able to run the software - the zip's available seem to be for both Spanish and English - I tried the latest English one. Unzipped it then just right click, run as admin and the GUI started no problem. I could point it at win files, and it seemed to understand the geometry of these - but I would have to read the notes to understand how to get a files view - I may try reading one of the 2 SD cards I used for the Q68 - it should be able to read those.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The HABI Image editor will read Qubide formatted Image file, I do not think that QWA is supported.

Any QL emulator will read QWA files, or the QXLWIN Reader, which also reads Qubide files, by Wolfgang Lenerz

Regards,

Derek