OqtaDrive internal issues

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: OqtaDrive internal issues

Post by Pepperm »

and here are the setup logs you requested. Note that the root/setup.log doesnt seem to exist.
logs.zip
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Pepperm wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:29 pm Ill get the files you requested shortly, but see the attached. This Nano with an FTDI chip (instead of the CH350) doesnt seem to program...
I guess this one has an old bootloader. Try setting OLD_NANO=y in oqtadrive.makrc, and it will probably program.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

I think that you may be right, here is a log with mods setting OLD_NANO=y in oqtadrive.makrc
makeflash2s.zip
(740 Bytes) Downloaded 31 times

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Pepperm wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:07 pm I think that you may be right, here is a log with mods setting OLD_NANO=y in oqtadrive.makrc
makeflash2s.zip
Looks like a successful flash to me :D

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

xelalex wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:09 pm
Pepperm wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:07 pm I think that you may be right, here is a log with mods setting OLD_NANO=y in oqtadrive.makrc
makeflash2s.zip
Looks like a successful flash to me :D
indeed.

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Pepperm wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:53 pm and here are the setup logs you requested. Note that the root/setup.log doesnt seem to exist.
Sorry, my mistake. The /root/setup.log log file only gets created on the BananaPi, which has a different bootstrapping. Your setup log looks fine, everything installed correctly. So overall, your installation seems healthy. Now we need to take a look at the log from setting drive mapping and doing a dir afterwards (see above), to analyze further.

BTW, you don't happen to have a vMap installed in that QL? Just double checking to make sure, since that would not be compatible with OqtaDrive.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

I agree, everything does now seem to be working as expected now. I don't have a vMAP nor VDrive, just the OqtaDrive internally mounted and a single Microdrive in position 2 (right) that came with the QL. The intention being to copy all of my old Microdrive wafers onto a more stable format.

I am currently having issues trying to work out what the 3 LEDs from the board do? It seems that there is an option to connect the QL's microdrive LED and one LED from the bicoloured LED connection together. If I connect both only the onboard QL LED lights so I have abandoned using the bicolour LED. The other LED, connected to D11 on the nano, rarely lights. I am not sure what this is for. Also when everything boots the onboard QL LED seems to be constantly lit, I guess this may be a config option that I have yet to understand.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Another question for the forum though, should I be able to format a OqtaDrive cartridge from the SBasic commant line? Fault finding seems to indicate that if I can't some diodes may be the wrong way around on my Issue 5 board/microdrives. Would this be the case as my OqtaDrive is the first in the chain?

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Pepperm wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:30 pm I agree, everything does now seem to be working as expected now.
Does that mean mapping the h/w drive to position 3 and doing a 'dir mdv3_' works?
Pepperm wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:30 pm I am currently having issues trying to work out what the 3 LEDs from the board do? It seems that there is an option to connect the QL's microdrive LED and one LED from the bicoloured LED connection together. If I connect both only the onboard QL LED lights so I have abandoned using the bicolour LED. The other LED, connected to D11 on the nano, rarely lights. I am not sure what this is for.
The LED connected to D11 signals Write activity (that's why it rarely lights up), the one on D12 Read activity. Tom designed the PCB such that if you connect the LED from the QL, it will signal read activity (i.e. D12). You can control the LED behavior in config.h with setting LED_RW_IDLE_ON. If set to true, the LEDs are on always and flicker when there is activity. When false, they are off and turn on with activity.
Pepperm wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:14 pm Another question for the forum though, should I be able to format a OqtaDrive cartridge from the SBasic commant line? Fault finding seems to indicate that if I can't some diodes may be the wrong way around on my Issue 5 board/microdrives. Would this be the case as my OqtaDrive is the first in the chain?
I posted a detailed description of this issue here.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

xelalex wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:34 pm
Pepperm wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:30 pm I agree, everything does now seem to be working as expected now.
Does that mean mapping the h/w drive to position 3 and doing a 'dir mdv3_' works?

It does yes thank you for all your help. I think that it was the mods to the config.h file that did it.

I'm now looking into the additions suggested in the service manual for issue 5 boards, re the format issue. I don't currently have a diode in the write protect circuit.