Oqtadrive and microdrive usage

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Oqtadrive and microdrive usage

Post by Pepperm »

How do I configure Oqtadrive internal such that I can copy the contents of my second microdrive onto an Oqtadrive, drive?

I am guessing that it is dome somewhere in Config/Hardware drive mapping but I can't seem to either make head nor tales or what the descriptive text means or what the settings do. It doesnt seem to suggest where the physical hardware microdrive would end up in the drive mapping? Sometimes the little padlock symbol shows locked, then I cant change anything, somtimes it shows open and I can select numbers but can't figure out what it is doing or where my HW microdrive is being mapped to.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Mark

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: Oqtadrive and microdrive usage

Post by xelalex »

Pepperm wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:24 pm How do I configure Oqtadrive internal such that I can copy the contents of my second microdrive onto an Oqtadrive, drive?
A prerequisite for h/w drive mapping is that you wired OqtaDirve the way Tom describes on PCBWay, in section "Connection to QL". This routes the COMMS.OUT from OqtaDrive to the COMMS.IN of the h/w drive, and makes it second in chain.
I am guessing that it is dome somewhere in Config/Hardware drive mapping but I can't seem to either make head nor tales or what the descriptive text means or what the settings do. It doesnt seem to suggest where the physical hardware microdrive would end up in the drive mapping?
The basics of drive mapping are explained here.. With the two drop down lists for start and end in the config page you simply set to what location in the drive chain your first and last h/w drive should be mapped. H/W drives are always mapped as a group. Since you only have one h/w drive, start and end would always be the same. So if you want your h/w drive to be mapped to let's say location 8, you would set start and end to 8 and click Set. You can then access your h/w drive as drive 8 from the QL.
Sometimes the little padlock symbol shows locked, then I cant change anything, somtimes it shows open and I can select numbers but can't figure out what it is doing or where my HW microdrive is being mapped to.
Whether dynamic drive mapping is enabled (pad lock open) or disabled (pad lock closed) is governed by the HW_GROUP_LOCK setting in /home/pi/oqtadrive/config.h on the RaspberryPi. This should be set to false if you want to be able to dynamically change the mapping. If the pad lock changes between open and closed without you making any changes to the configuration, then I suspect that your installation is seriously broken. How did you install?

BTW, could you resolve the UI reload problem?

Alex

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Hi, thanks for your great reply, I’ll read through all of that shortly. I believe thought that the “pass through” connection is already connected as part of the internal boards connection to the QL board.

I haven’t resolved the resetting activity but have changed the raspi zero that I am using and, certainly initially, this raspi isn’t resetting. It may well do later, I will see.

Mark
Last edited by Pepperm on Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

I installed by using the pre-made image available from https://oqtadrive.org/02.getting-started/install/

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Pepperm wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:23 pm Hi, thanks for your great reply, I’ll read through all of that shortly. I believe thought that the “pass through” connection is already connected as part of the internal boards connection to the QL board.

I haven’t resolved the resetting activity but have changed the raspi zero that I am using and, certainly initially, this raspi isn’t resetting. It may well do later, I will see.

Mark
I have just checked and the new raspi has started the reboots again.

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Did you check the developer console in your browser, as I suggested in the other thread? That would tell us what's going on.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Well I can get the developer console up but to be honest I have no idea what I am looking for. Any suggestions?

xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Have a look here.