qubide GAL and ROM code - where

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

qubide GAL and ROM code - where

Post by Pepperm »

Hi

I have build a QubIDE interface board from https://hardware.speccy.org/temp/qubide-i.html but are having problems getting it to do anything other than crash the QL right from the start. I have tried all sorts of combinations of GAL and ROM code, successfully tested all the logic chips involved, successfully tried the board with no logic chips fitted (so there aren't any shorts etc on the board causing the issue) and found that the voltage regulator works fine. I am using GAL16V8D 25QP GALs and am leaving off GAL3 and the RAM chip for the time being as I already have an under the processor 512K RAM expansion fitted. I have also programmed the ROM code in both the top and bottom halves of the EPROM as I am fitting the 16K of code in to the 27256 EPROMs I have.

So two things... Can someone point me to a reliable GAL and ROM code source that works in combination and can anyone suggest what to look at next to help get the board running please.

Mark

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: qubide GAL and ROM code - where

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

See this message thread concerning QubATA

viewtopic.php?p=35106#p35106

Regards,

Derek
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

I managed to get everything working ,

128 eprom , and the correct gal's ( don't forget to switch OFF encryption before programming them )

once you are sure about that ,

verify the jumper settings on the board ( if you combine the qubide with other devices/minerva/tk2 you MUST pay attention to the adresses ) , search for the adressing table .

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:10 pm Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion Derek. Yes I have read that thread and unfortunately it hasn’t helped me.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

techy wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:34 pm I managed to get everything working ,

128 eprom , and the correct gal's ( don't forget to switch OFF encryption before programming them )

once you are sure about that ,

verify the jumper settings on the board ( if you combine the qubide with other devices/minerva/tk2 you MUST pay attention to the adresses ) , search for the adressing table .
Cheers for this. Do you remember where you got the GAL and ROM files, or which specific ones you used. Also, what jumper settings did you use because I do have the Minerva/toolkit ROM fitted also.

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

all you need has been mailed to you !!

good luck .

and if something fails , let us know .

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Pepperm wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:23 pm
Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:10 pm Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion Derek. Yes I have read that thread and unfortunately it hasn’t helped me.
Strange, I have built 4 Qubide boards wiyh these files, all work no problem.

Regards,

Derek
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

techy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:07 pm all you need has been mailed to you !!

good luck .

and if something fails , let us know .
Thanks, I’m working through your email.

Mark

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Good news

I, with the help of Arjen cracked the problem on my QubIDE interface. Simply put I had fitted D2 the wrong way around... a rookie mistake.

Now to figure out how to get the IDE/SD card to format etc. Hopefilly I can power the SD interface from the 40pin IDE connector as it only needs 5V at a very low current that can be supplied by the 5V regulator on the QUIBIDE board.

Mark