QL Homepage

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

QL Homepage

Post by dilwyn »

As I'm getting a large number of "where's the QL homepage gone" type emails despite my extensive efforts at publicising the change, I'm assuming QL users don't read extensively published information (Forum, ql-users list, blog, Facebook, redirect on old site for weeks for example)

The old site (the domain especially) was a never ending source of trouble for me, so the nice folks at QL Forum agreed to host it at https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/index.html

If you can't remember the URL, just bookmark the new one. If all else fails, just go to the QL Forum site and follow the "QL Homepage" link at the top.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QL Homepage

Post by Chr$ »

What will happen to the old domain name Dilwyn? Wasn't there talk of someone taking it over and shadowing all of the content? I bet there must be thousands of hard-links to you site that no longer work (inc. within the forum). Easy enough to find the info on the new domain of course, but it would be a shame to kill all those old links.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Chr$ wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:37 am What will happen to the old domain name Dilwyn? Wasn't there talk of someone taking it over and shadowing all of the content? I bet there must be thousands of hard-links to you site that no longer work (inc. within the forum). Easy enough to find the info on the new domain of course, but it would be a shame to kill all those old links.
If I'm honest...after all the grief it gave me I am not in the slightest bit interested in that domain name. Yes, shame to kill old links (guess that's what causes all these "why's it shut down" messages) but I am just not prepared to pay annually for a domain name that gave me such grief over the years.

I'm pretty sure also that there will be internal links in the site to the old domain name, I'll fix those as they are found (most were consciously made relative links within the site).

If anyone else wants to do it while the domain name is still available, feel free if you can get it cheap. I'm afraid I just can't be bothered, I'd rather just make a modest occasional donation to Rob and the forum crew for hosting this site so well. I want to get back to writing QL software instead of constantly fire-fighting problems.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

On the old domain landing page it says that it's available but then when you click on 'get this domain' it says it's already been registered. Either someone has registered it, or possibly they are confused and it hasn't properly dropped, which I think takes a number of weeks (even months) after the expiry date.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Chr$ wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:54 am On the old domain landing page it says that it's available but then when you click on 'get this domain' it says it's already been registered. Either someone has registered it, or possibly they are confused and it hasn't properly dropped, which I think takes a number of weeks (even months) after the expiry date.
I did have a look once the old site stopped coming up and got pretty much the same thing. These sorts of things can sometimes take time to resolve and propagate.
I think if I was to get involved with the domain name in any way in the future, I'd probably contribute financially towards it if it was cheap, but someone else would need to manage the domain name completely. IIRC Rob or one of the forum guys did offer to at one point, just that I was still wary and sore from dealing with the domain issues (and 123-reg in particular). Although "cheap" probably equates to "problematical" I guess.