Sub Things

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: Sub Things

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Derek

You're not confused, Derek - my write-up was!

I should not have used the word 'ownership', when I meant to say 'user-ship' (which probably isn't a real word.)
Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:43 pm That said, if the child Job creates a Thing, and the Thing is removed, the child Job would be removed, what effect to the Parent Job?
In that case, nothing would happen to the parent (of the child) Job. But just to be clear - the reason for the child Job to be removed is if it is currently USEing the Thing - not simply because it owns the memory space occupied by the Thing. Thus if a Job, any Job, creates a Thing, but isn't currently USEing it when the Thing then gets removed, it (the owning Job) wouldn't be impacted at all - the only Jobs impacted (i.e. killed) would be those that were currently recorded as USEing the Thing at the time of removal.

Any better?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The reason for this topic, I was going write a graphics application, that would start off as a basic graphic screen programme, that can draw lines and save to PIC file. There would be expansion facilities to enhance the abilities of the programme, by the use of plugins or more specifically a Thing to provide additional graphics facilities like 3D wire frame and sold modeling facilities. Or maybe a Electronic Schematic editor.

Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Derek!

Given the bit of exploration I did on 'handmade' Things for the NDMQ driver, I'd be happy to walk you through a simple example - if that would help.

Feel free to PM me and then we could write-up something for the broader community with our findings...

In any case, good luck:-)