D-Day Games workshop

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: D-Day Games workshop

Post by Chr$ »

Hello Norm,

Those are the steps I followed yesterday. I got to the upload prompt, selected 2 images to put within the 'packaging' area and there was a short pause before 'failed' in red text appeared, once for each image. And then I was locked out for about a minute.

Today, after logging out and in again, the same thing happened. So I tried to put the images in root instead of packaging and that seemed to work better but now when I attempt to edit a page and then add an image in the usual way (that I'd previously uploaded), then select root as the location, I just get a spinner in the pop up window and it remains unresponsive.

I've come to the conclusion that the wiki just doesn't like my location/ISP/ip address/browser (tried edge and chrome)/face/attitude.

I can change text, no issues there. Images though, it always gets messy.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Chr$,

I had an email or two informing me that some images had been uploaded, the D-Day stuff were successfully uploaded by you. So at least the upload works.

The reason for the spinner on root, is the huge number of images in root! Some of the other categories also have "too many" images, and this causes the spinner. This is the reason I tried to split images out into multiple categories. Unfortunately, it takes a huge amount of time to get the PHP stuff to parse out the files, read in the thumbnails and display them.

I gave it a try just now in root, and I got the spinner for about 3 minutes before I got bored. :(

I have also been binned out of both the forum and the wiki this morning. The message being "qlforum.co.uk unexpectedly closed the connection". I've reported this back to Rob in case there's anything in the logs.

I think I need to do a bit/lot more work on the images "namespaces" though, we still have far too many in various categories.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

NormanDunbar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:44 pm I have also been binned out of both the forum and the wiki this morning. The message being "qlforum.co.uk unexpectedly closed the connection". I've reported this back to Rob in case there's anything in the logs.
Yes, that's the message I get too.

I'll try again and will be more patient with the spinner, but I don't remember it ever taking more than a few secs.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

In order to not spam this topic/thread with stuff not quite related, I've started a thread over at viewtopic.php?p=50511#p50511.

In a recursive moment, I moderated myself!

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Jeff$
ROM Dongle

Post by Jeff$ »

RWAP wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:24 am
There is no scan of the original manual - I had to re-write it by hand for D-Day MKII.

Games Workshop didn't pull the original - they allowed CGH Services (and later me) to offer D-Day MKII as both an upgrade and stand-alone version.
I was going to say the manual in the box was not attributed, but then noticed on the rear cover "Games Workshop" in rather larger letters.

Am I allowed to photograph the manual ? scanning a bit problematic at the moment. Or is there copyright issues as its still being sold?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Jeff$ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:44 pm
RWAP wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:24 am
There is no scan of the original manual - I had to re-write it by hand for D-Day MKII.

Games Workshop didn't pull the original - they allowed CGH Services (and later me) to offer D-Day MKII as both an upgrade and stand-alone version.
I was going to say the manual in the box was not attributed, but then noticed on the rear cover "Games Workshop" in rather larger letters.

Am I allowed to photograph the manual ? scanning a bit problematic at the moment. Or is there copyright issues as its still being sold?
The manual and original software remain copyright Games Workshop, so I can't give my consent to upload it.

Jeff$
ROM Dongle

Post by Jeff$ »

RWAP wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:02 am
The manual and original software remain copyright Games Workshop, so I can't give my consent to upload it.
Can I send photos to you to distribute with new copies ? does it sell many still ? or perhaps to compare to your hand typed manual/notes?.

D-DAY Games Workshop Credits
D-DAY Games Workshop Credits

The Games workshop manual is 16 pages including front and rear covers, 9 pages of instructions and 4 pages showing maps.

D-DAY MKII C & G Services

I also found slipped inside the manual an extra 4 page addition, titled D-DAY MKII, "updates and corrections to Games Workshop Manual 1985", the last page of the addition is signed "Richard Alexander, January 1989".

So did they sell an update to an existing copy ? or were they still selling the Games Workshop version with the manual update in the box.

D-DAY MKII Disk
D-DAY MKII Disk

I did find a disk with hand written label, "D-Day Mk II Ver 1.35 (C) Games Workshop + C & G SERVICES", seems odd if it was just a copy they'd write the copyright notice on it. Or is this how MKII was distributed?.

Sorry to everyone if this threads getting a bit long, just trying to get the info recorded before its lost.
Last edited by Jeff$ on Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

I wonder if the unlabelled carts are the original version and you at some point got MkII on disk with the extra instruction pages.

I've seen other original mdv carts in the past that were devoid of stickers. Some may never have had stickers in the first place, some may have fallen off over the years.

Re-felt and dump the contents to a file. This is how I do it:

https://qxl.win/ql_cartridge_recovery.htm

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI Chr$,

Nice write up of the procedure on how to re-felt a Microdrive cartridge.

Have to re-felt all my cartridges.

I assume this would work on Spectrum microdrive cartridges?

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Jeff$ wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:44 am
RWAP wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:02 am
Can I send photos to you to distribute with new copies ? does it sell many still ? or perhaps to compare to your hand typed manual/notes?.

The Games workshop manual is 16 pages including front and rear covers, 9 pages of instructions and 4 pages showing maps.

I also found slipped inside the manual an extra 4 page addition, titled D-DAY MKII, "updates and corrections to Games Workshop Manual 1985", the last page of the addition is signed "Richard Alexander, January 1989".

So did they sell an update to an existing copy ? or were they still selling the Games Workshop version with the manual update in the box.

I did find a disk with hand written label, "D-Day Mk II Ver 1.35 (C) Games Workshop + C & G SERVICES", seems odd if it was just a copy they'd write the copyright notice on it. Or is this how MKII was distributed?.

Sorry to everyone if this threads getting a bit long, just trying to get the info recorded before its lost.
The original boxed version is how it was originally sold. D-Day MKII would then have been an update on disk purchased at a later date - yes, CGH Services tended to distribute these with hand-written labels (as you pictured).

I don't need the manual thanks - I have an original D-Day manual here somewhere :)