Service Manual and Schematics

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

The subject of good readable schematics came up in another thread. Rather than this information hiding in that threat, I thought it deserved its own thread :P .

Cross-link to other thread
tofro wrote:There is a QL Service Manual on World of Sinclair that has a bit better scan quality (I think) than the one on Dilwyn's site (It's also OCR-ed and thus searchable)

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sincl ... Manual.pdf

Regards,
Tobias
I've harvested various schematic images, but none of them is that good. I would love to get my hands on a high quality schematic where all the component identity's, values, pin numbers and functions are clearly readable.

The schematics that I got were found by using a search engine, looking for "Sinclair QL schematic" and "Sinclair QL Service Manual".

Also try the Service Manual from this site (Select "Sinclair Ltd" in the drop down list).

Read about some Errors in QL Service Manual

I have just discovered that a real paper version sold on eBay in early September (link).

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
skagon
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: Service Manual and Schematics

Post by skagon »

Expanding on this (thanks Mark) I was wondering if there's any definitive list of board mods that can or should be done as general practice. For example, look at the last paragraph of this link here:
this site wrote:Try the 'bombproofing' mods listed in QL World in Nov 89 - but I
think this is a bit of an overkill.
What are these "bombproofing" mods?
Also, check this image: Image
Again, what are these diodes on the 8301, what's that little board with the 7404 on, what's that capacitor on the CPU, etc?
Are the modifications shown in the service manual important (cutting two tracks and linking one for rev5) or not? Also, I've got another rev5 here with a different track cut on the solder side.

To cut a long story short... do we have a definitive list of mods, preferably classified as "mandatory", "good to have", "overkill" and "went nuts"? Or maybe some guide as to which mod fixes what?

And another thing for Mark: are you just trying to replicate the schematics as they're shown on the service manual, or maybe more? I know this is probably too much, but it would be nice if there was some sort of interactive board map. Where, for instance, you'd have a list of all signals and, by selecting, say, "AD5" you'd get the PCB trace highlighted on the board map. That could help with diagnostics and broken lines or even signal interference.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Your best bet would be to ask Urs Koenig or Tony Firshman - they are bound to have an original QL Service Manual - although I have to admit that the ones I have seen do not have great images of the circuit diagrams either.

Skagon - as for the mods on that picture - it is a Samsung QL which already has quite a few differences over the earlier QLs - mainly to address the electronic noise levels in the USA. You probably also have a steel backing plate for the keyboard (instead of an aluminium one), which is connected by steel foil to ground everything!

However, I cannot recall whether all of those changes are to do with the Samsung build - see
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c250d874 ... A!3501&v=3

QLObi
ROM Dongle

Post by QLObi »

Hi skagon,
the 7404 is used as an oscillator at 15Mhz. It replaces the inbuild clock generator.
This mod is special on Samsung US and German boards.

QLObi

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Just a quick thankyou for the HTML version of the QL Service Manual which appears on the QL TODAY Final DVD :D

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

RWAP wrote:Just a quick thankyou for the HTML version of the QL Service Manual which appears on the QL TODAY Final DVD :D
Are there any plans to make this HTML version available on the Sinclair QL Homepage - it is much better than the PDF versions on line...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:
RWAP wrote:Just a quick thankyou for the HTML version of the QL Service Manual which appears on the QL TODAY Final DVD :D
Are there any plans to make this HTML version available on the Sinclair QL Homepage - it is much better than the PDF versions on line...
I'll see what I can do this week... :ugeek:

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

dilwyn wrote:
RWAP wrote:
I'll see what I can do this week... :ugeek:
Have uploaded it to http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/index.html. Seems to work without alteration, but ran out of time to check it further and add links back to my site. If you get a chance, can you try it to make sure the pages work as they should and the images show up.

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

Skagon,

On the Samsung QL's, IIRC, the person that knew the most about these is Thomas Bent. He had a QL service business and a newsletter in the US from about 1986 to about 1990. He was known for documenting and recommending certain mods to the US QL's. A Google search turned up nothing. I'll have to dig is some of my old US T/S newsletters from the time and see if I can find any more details. I do remember that he was located on the East Coast of the US.

Tim Swenson

QLvsJAGUAR
Gold Card

Post by QLvsJAGUAR »

RWAP wrote:
I have already uploaded this and some other parts of the DVD to the Internet months ago. URL for the HTML Version of the Service Manual is:
http://www.sinclairql.net/srv/index.html

QL forever!
https://www.sinclairql.net/ - Go and get THE DISTRIBUTION & QL/E!
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR/community - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR - Dedicated QL videos
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE, NeXT, MiST & much more...
Videos, pictures & information