Magnentic Scrolls tapes rescued

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Ralf R.

Magnentic Scrolls tapes rescued

Post by Ralf R. »

An interesting article, unfortunately in german, perhaps Google can help.

https://www.golem.de/news/magnetic-scro ... 28648.html

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Magnentic Scrolls tapes rescued

Post by tofro »

Here https://strandgames.com/blog/magnetic-scrolls-listing is obviously a picture of a piece of source code for the QL version of "The Pawn".

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Looks in real good condition too! I wonder if they will scan it?

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Still I like to know, what kind of OS they have written, which upset QDOS to run The Pawn. And why they have done it.

As far as I know, there is just one cracked version from an italian guy. Unfortunately, he has compiled his loader program with Supercharge.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Ralf R. wrote:Still I like to know, what kind of OS they have written, which upset QDOS to run The Pawn. And why they have done it.

As far as I know, there is just one cracked version from an italian guy. Unfortunately, he has compiled his loader program with Supercharge.
The few lines one can see in the listing definitely show some definitive hints towards plain old QDOS. And apparently, we're in the middle of the game here, not in some sort of loader or anything

Tobias

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

vanpeebles wrote:Looks in real good condition too! I wonder if they will scan it?
I fear, the word "tapes" in the article mean MDV as there were nothing else in these days.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

"Tapes" refer to backup tapes of a DEC MicroVAX that they used for cross-development (most probably also for the QL - DEC VAXes were used in the early 80ies as cross-development machines for Motorola - and a lot of other - machines in the early days of the 68000 - Psion did pretty much the same do develop the QL office suite. If you wanted to support multiple target architectures, it was much cheaper to buy a cross compiler/assembler for the VAX than to develop directly on the target).

Later, they apparently dumped the VAX and used Sun workstations for development.

These "tapes" are "quite a bit more professional" media than Microdrives and probably hold several hundred megabytes of data.

Tobias

And BTW: While I was there, I just downloaded - out of curiosity and nostalgia - the remastered version of The Pawn for my Mac for the huge expense of 1,70GBP. They also have Windows and Linux versions.

EDIT: Just changed the above to bold - I think the fact that The Pawn is again available for modern computers after 35 years (as a bargain) has earned to not being lost somewhere in the middle of the conversation.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

It is soooo wonderful, that someone is not able to write everything, instead just wanted to upset someone else. Nearly the same in every forum.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Ralf R. wrote:It is soooo wonderful, that someone is not able to write everything, instead just wanted to upset someone else. Nearly the same in every forum.
Ralf,
I'm not sure what you're up to. In case you feel insulted by anything written by me, please be more specific, as there was no intention whatsoever to do that.

Tobias

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

tofro wrote: Ralf,
I'm not sure what you're up to. In case you feel insulted by anything written by me, please be more specific, as there was no intention whatsoever to do that.
Tobias
I'm afraid Ralf has closed his forum account.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?