QL Homepage Is Back!

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: QL Homepage Is Back!

Post by dilwyn »

To be honest, can I be bothered? To think all this came about because my ISP stopped email services and things cascaded from there.

The last few weeks have really made me lose interest in just about anything which takes any time whatsoever, including the website.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The lack of the website has caused a lot of discomfort to a lot of people. It's the glue that ties everything together.

I'm sorry you're feeling jaded. Why not go for a long weekend drive, stay in a B&B and just have a change of scenery?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:The lack of the website has caused a lot of discomfort to a lot of people. It's the glue that ties everything together.

I'm sorry you're feeling jaded. Why not go for a long weekend drive, stay in a B&B and just have a change of scenery?
Hah, I did just that when I went to Aberystwyth mid-May and came back with a list of complaints as long as my arm (which has been communicated to them). Including an electric panel heater falling off wall screws onto a bed (could have been fatal had it fallen on a child for example), getting accidentally locked in reception due to a broken door handle when I went to drop off a list of complaints forcing a member of staff to go out the back to open the door from outside to "rescue" me. That place was a right Fawlty Towers (without the humour), I came back needing a holiday to get over the holiday, so holiday is also on the "NOT A CHANCE" list for now.

No, I expect the worst from everything at the moment. Rarely disappointed.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Then make yourself a toasted cheese sandwich, and go sit in the back of your closet with a good book, the sandwich, a torch and some spare batteries. You'll feel like a kid again.

I recommend 'C' by Kernighan and Ritchie. It's a riveting read!

Timbucus
ROM Dongle

Post by Timbucus »

Dilwyn,

Take a great deal of pride in the fact that people like me have found your work invaluable in getting back into the QL. The Spectrum Next may get a QL mode while ZEsarUX is adding QL functionality - this is a time of growth and prosperity that is possible only because your well cared for seeds existed!

Thank you for persevering.

Tim

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:Then make yourself a toasted cheese sandwich, and go sit in the back of your closet with a good book, the sandwich, a torch and some spare batteries. You'll feel like a kid again.

OK, I'll try that - but your fault if I come out speaking C :twisted:

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

dilwyn wrote:
Dave wrote:Then make yourself a toasted cheese sandwich, and go sit in the back of your closet with a good book, the sandwich, a torch and some spare batteries. You'll feel like a kid again.

Haha forget all that SuperBasic nonsense :)

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

dilwyn wrote:Thanks to the swift action of XorA on this Forum, my QL Homepage site is back, after a fashion.

Graeme kindly offered to host the full 2.33GB of it on space he has at http://www.greybeardz.com until the IT department here (me!) gets everything working properly again.

If you go to http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/index.html, you can click on a link there to the temporary site at http://www.greybeardz.com/index.html, it should be active by now. I am able to upload to my own site, but it would be a waste of time for me and irritating for users for me to spend 12 hours uploading 2.33GB only to find it's gone again 24 hours later.

In theory, all content is available from greybeardz.com. In practice, there may well be some absolute URLs embedded in the site which directly call dilwyn.me.uk only to find that things ain't there yet. If this causes a problem (non-working links), get in touch with me and I'll see what I can do. I'd rather not make too many changes or site updates at the moment in case it has a knock-on effect when I'm able and confident to restore the usual site.

I am still having email problems, so if I don't seem to be replying to an email, it has probably vanished into the ether at random along with many others - send me a PM via the Forum instead. I can only apologise for the ongoing problems.
Great Job!!!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

XorA wrote:
dilwyn wrote:

Haha forget all that SuperBasic nonsense :)
He he you miss the point - you'll regret it when I start asking awkward questions :D