Fun things to do with an MC68EC020....

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Fun things to do with an MC68EC020....

Post by Dave »

tofro wrote:
Peter wrote: I even find SMSQ/E the best choice for a slow 2 MB system, because of the much faster Basic.

With RAM of 1 MB, admittedly, the length of the OS itself becomes quite relevant.
With SMSQ/E in ROM - 2M might be perfect. With SMSQ/E taking RAM - that would be not much of an improvement over a Trump card or clone (Agreed, the Basic is much better) to justify development of new HW. Adding some M of memory actually isn't sooo much work on top given that you add a CPU and most probably a relatively complex CPLD to adapt to the QL bus.

Tobias
My thinking exactly. With 2MB of flash, we can hold multiple copies of Minerva. SMSQ/E and every ROM image imaginable in there. If SMSQ/E was given a version for this device it could feasibly run in place from the flash, OR it could be copied into RAM all over the place, SGC-style. Performance would be about the same.

I would hope there was a bootloader code to allow selection of OS and screen on boot-up.

There would be at least 20 systems available with Aurora graphics, so, that's meaningful.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:
Peter wrote:Two or four 50ns DRAMs is sure to beat 32 70ns SRAMs plus their buffer ICs. And the cost of 16MB DRAM is $5. SRAM is $96.

So my desire for SRAM is dead on every count.
For 68SEC000 and simple QL style usage, I would much prefer 2 MB of zero-wait SRAM for $10 over 16 MB (average 90% unused) DRAM for $5 causing waitstates.

I would love to have zero-wait SRAM on the Q68 (which unfortunately would have to be faster and more expensive than for 68SEC000).

Honestly, I have myself considered a Q68 redesign with smaller but faster SRAM instead of SDRAM! That would speed up the Q68 by factor 2.5 to 3. Even though it has an optimized SDRAM controller, specifically designed for the Q68, not a slow IP core from the manufacturer.

If not for the lower pincount of SDRAM, which was needed to get along with the FPGA restrictions, some interest in (uC)Linux, and the different pricing situation at design time, I would certainly go for SRAM.

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

Peter wrote:
Nasta wrote:Even at 20MHz with an 8-bit bus it should work around GC speed, if a decent memory controller is implemented.
At first sight this looks wrong to me. I have not actually measured timing on the GC, but it has 80 ns RAS access time DRAM chips, so I would guess DRAM cycle time around 150 ns, without using page mode. If we assume the real cycle time 30% slower, the GC would be under 200 ns cycle time for 16 Bit.
Because of the 8 Bit bus, the 68SEC000 would need 100 ns cycle time, which is two 20 MHz clock cycles, to break even. But it has minimum 4 clock cycles!
Well, I think the GC DRAM timing is based on a 24MHz clock, and - at least on my GC (some time ago as I traded it in for a SGC) and on the SGC, and on the QXL the same DRAM was used, which is 80ns, so let's say roughly 2x that for cycle time. No page mode, the logic would never fit into the CPLD. At 24MHz the ideal timing would be to use 4 clock cycles as that's around 166ns. but it would require using half-clocks (I don't think the CPLD was capable of sual edge triggering of synchronous logic), so I am thinking more along the line of 5 or 6 cycles, 200 or 250ns. The latter is exactly 4 clock cycles of the CPU and is synched to it, so that seems to be the winner. In any case, we could say it just manages near 0 wait states at 16MHz but it also has a 16-bit bus.
However, when compared to 68008 at zero wait states, the 68000 is not 2x faster at the same closk, reason being it's not as sophisticated as the 020, internal processing can take quite a lot of cycles (like effective address calculations etc) and this is exactly the same on the 68008 as on the 68000, as the internal architecture and bus widths are the same - while the architecture is not advanced enough to hide most of it behind pipelining.
There are, however, some QL specifics but hhese should then be taken into account: The GC is indeed >4x faster than the bare-bone QL but that's because the 68008 gets further bogged down by the ZX8301 when accessing RAM (*) but the GC shadows this in 16-bit RAM so this should be taken into account. Even so, when both are running zero wait, the GC is around 3-3.5x the 68008 speed.
The little 68SEC000 project would use one single 16Mx8 DRAM chip with a 50ns access time. The timing is based on a clock which is 2x CPU clock, basically to be able to use both CPU clock edges. It can run near 0 wait up to a bit over 20MHz. The idea, in fact, was to use a simple clock synth chip to get 3x 7.5MHz. So, it's really an apples to apples comparison, as long as you keep the 68SEC configured as a 68008 running 0 wait, at 3x the clock frequency, it runs 3x faster, so into GC territory.
Oh, and of course screen access would be shadowed. Not only that, unlike SGC, it can run Aurora full speed, which is near 0 wait at 200ns/cycle, realistically around 2.2-2.5x QL bus speed. And this is HIGHLY desirable with nearly 8x the screen RAM and 8-bit access. The SGC can only access Aurora screen ram at QL speed and does no shadowing since there was no Aurora when the SGC was made, to take into account, while the 68SEC thingy can, and has the extra RAM to do it too.

Now, one could make the DRAM controller run asynchronously to the CPU. The problem here is that you can't really get real zero wait bus operation in this case, and the paradox is, it gets closer to >1 wait the closer the CPU frequency is to the DRAM controller frequency, because the CPU needs to synch on every access. But, we can continue to up the CPU frequency as far as the CPU will go - the only thing is, the external bus stays at 15-20MHz levels, but internal processing still scales up as the clock goes up, so it's a trade-off. One thing that is not a benefit in this mode is shadowing Aurora RAM, the asynch DRAM controller would in fact work exactly the same way the Aurora does (it is based on 8 cycles at 20MHz) and any speed benefit in clock would likely be dispensed with due to added time needed to cynch the CPU and RAM on every access. This is why I said that at some point upping the CPU speed shows diminishing returns in the average case, although some cases where most of the work is done inside the CPU would show a marked speed improvement.

Now, with some good static RAM available, for high capacity SRAM one expects sub-80ns access and cycle times, 55ns is not uncommon. Given the 68k bus timing, this would be good to over 50MHz without wait states :) but forget cheap 16M of RAM then.

There is a case to be made for more RAM as soon as you do anything to increase the screen resolution. Even before that, as soon as you put PE into the mix. With 32k per screen, things are not too constricted even with 'only' 2M, but when it's 192k like with the Aurora... although probably half that on average in mode 4, one may find 2M wanting. The idea to put a full 16M on board was simply there because it's a single chip (or 2 chips maximum).
There is also one other consideration - this sort of a thingy could run SMSQ/E. And... there are 256 color drivers there for the Aurora. All of a sudden we may be speaking about 240k or screen a pop... and then you really do want all the RAM you can get.

(*) In the old days of the bare-bones QL, RAM expansion speed was something one wanted, and there were full speed designs out there, or near enough. But, things can be faster, and by shadowing the screen RAM and replacing the top 64 (or 96k if you do not need the second screen) of the internal RAM by fast external RAM. Funny no-one though about it on commercial products back then, until the GC arrived, where it was obvious to have it. My first RAM expansion was something I did myself, and it had 768k total when fitted with all 3 256k banks. Which means when the last 256k bank was fitted, it replaced the original 128k and implemented screen shadowing, plus added 128k at the top of 640k which was supposed to be the upper limit. Believe me, I was very happy when it worked because I only assumed it could, there was nothing definite in the scarce available literature toindicate it would. Ad it was a zero-wait design because one could then get 120ns DRAM for PCs, whereas most QL expansions used 150ns. I actually reverse-engineered Miracle's Expanderam to figure out how the bus worked but did not like the way they treated RAM access so I did my own thing. I was also delighted when it measured faster than the fastest RAM and back then I think it was the Sandy SuperQBoard :)

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

BTW how big is SMSQ/E for SGC with Aurora these days? I bet it would fit half a meg of flash and with plenty left for an alternative OS and extensions....

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

About 230 KB with Aurora drivers.

All you write about Aurora support makes technical sense, but it would mean that it must be made available also.
I tried hard, but had no chance to get one. I was therefore assuming Dave is targeting original QL.

BTW I will soon add 8 Bit Aurora mode in 1024x768 to the Q68.

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

There are around 20 unbuilt Auroras left, so some could be made available.
In principle more could be made, the CPLDs are still available, and for that matter the logic could be re-targeted.

Aurora 8-bit makes a lot of sense on a Q68, good compromise between resolution and memory size.

BTW I'd really like to know what you did with the SDRAM to feed the 68k core on Q68, but that's for another thread.
The funny thing is, the way it's going, we're more or less sentenced to using some sort of SDRAM eventually, whatever happens... :(

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Nasta wrote:Aurora 8-bit makes a lot of sense on a Q68, good compromise between resolution and memory size.
Yes 16 bit color in high resolution slows down the Q68 considerably. I will move the rest of my reply to "Compatibles Corner".

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Peter wrote:BTW I will soon add 8 Bit Aurora mode in 1024x768 to the Q68.
Just for info, I'm reconsidering this, because it turned out to bloat SMSQ/E size a lot.

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi,
I have SGC with ROMdisk and SH. When I turn it on, there is often an unpleasant noise like chips frying, and the QL refuses to start... The cure is RESET!
Is this a proverbial 'bug' (spider?) frying, or a dusty chip? Whatever, on days when it happens, the monitor image is very unstable... and hard on your eyes!
My setup could do with a new battery, but otherwise is in good condition. For some reason, sometimes it all works ideally...
Have fun frying chips on a '680... ?
Steve.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

This sounds like some weird power or dry joint problem.

A good place to start is to gently open her up and reseat all the ICs. Check around the 7805 (the 3-pin thing in the middle of the black heatsink on the right, behind the two microdrive units.)

Start it up a couple of times with the lid off and see if you can locate the sound any more accurately.