PS2 mini keyboard

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

PS2 mini keyboard

Post by dilwyn »

For use with my Aurora (SuperHermes Lite), I am on the lookout for a mini keyboard, without numeric keypad, and with a PS/2 plug. Because it's set up on a very small desk, I require a keyboard which is quite compact, no more than about 12-13 inches (30-33cm) wide.
I bought one a few days ago (a Perixx Periboard-409) which is ideal in terms of size, but sadly does not work with SuperHermes Lite. Presumably, the modern keyboards with PS/2 plugs are really USB-style ones in disguise, and don't work with SuperHermes.
I have a standard keyboard 102 key keyboard which works fine, but it's just too big for the desk space.
Would consider a swap or buying an unwanted keyboard known to work with QL systems.
For information, this is the Perixx keyboard to give an idea of what I am looking for:
perix periboard-409.jpg

XorA
Site Admin

Re: PS2 mini keyboard

Post by XorA »

Its probably more that the signals don't get wiggled in a fashion identifiable as being a real ps/2 port so the firmware gets confused!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

XorA wrote:Its probably more that the signals don't get wiggled in a fashion identifiable as being a real ps/2 port so the firmware gets confused!
Same difference in terms of end result, modern keyboards with PS2 plugs don't work with SuperHermes. I have tried a lot of keyboards with this, all the older ones work, none of the newer ones do (whether they have PS2 plugs or USB/PS2 adaptors).
Have been totally unable to find an older, compact PS2 keyboard even though standard sized ones are still quite easy to find.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

You need wings on your desk :D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:You need wings on your desk :D
Unfortunately, the desk is in an alcove with no room to add "wings" otherwise I'd have taken you up on that suggestion. A full size keyboard would just about fit, but no room for a mouse.
Looks like the beloved Aurora might be consigned back to the attic after all and I'll be limited to a PC unless I can find a small keyboard that works with SuperHermes Lite :(

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Would a usb to ps2 adapter work?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Tried the USB to PS2 adapters with several keyboards, none worked.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adesso-Mini-B ... Swqu9VJaEa

Something like that?
Looks like that Perixx keyboard, which was also a wired PS/2 but failed to work. Reluctant to spend any more without knowing it works first given the number of disappointments so far. But yeah, that's the kind of size of keyboard I was looking for.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Just a thought, and sorry if I'm going a bit on the hardware side. But is it a case of the newer keyboards not supplying full 5 volt signals. maybe only 3, or a bit volts, which SuperHermes cant handle.

And all you need is a buffer IC to bring the signals back up to 5 volts. Just a little box that sits between the keyboard and SuperHermes, powered by the supply for the keyboard.

Martin Head