New Thunderbirds

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
dilwyn
Mr QL

New Thunderbirds

Post by dilwyn »

Anybody planning on watching the new Thunderbirds series on ITV at 5pm (UK time) tonight?

Used to be a big fan as a child. Can't believe it's about 50 years since the original puppet-based series came out. Wonder how the cgi will compare to the original "super-marionation".

Shame the creator Gerry Anderson died fairly recently before this series is broadcast.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: New Thunderbirds

Post by vanpeebles »

I'm a big Gerry Anderson fan but didn't fancy this at all. For me the cgi Captain Scarlet missed the mark too. My personal favourites are UFO and Dick Spanner :ugeek:

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I watched tonight's episode - I think it will appeal to a new younger viewer, but might struggle to appeal to fans of the original series like me. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen a few more episodes. It does have potential, as long as the storylines are good.

Interesting that Parker is still voiced by the original actor (David Graham, now in his nineties) and according to one TV guide, co-creator Sylvia Anderson will take part in a future episode as Lady Penelope's great aunt.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Judith from the eggheads would be a good voice over for new Lady Penelope.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

vanpeebles wrote:Judith from the eggheads would be a good voice over for new Lady Penelope.
Absolutely

Saw the episode
Impressed that the WETA workshop does the sets and only some ships and characters are actually CGI

I'm with Dilwyn, will watch more episodes before making a judgement, however they rescue people all too easy at the moment.

I do like the fact that the lemon squeezer is still in the T1 take-off sequence as it was in the original series and that they use the original voice for 5-4-3-2-1, its gravelly good.

original and new
gerry.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/