QL memory expansion

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
Wimdev
ROM Dongle

QL memory expansion

Post by Wimdev »

I have a QL-SD unit, and it works great. However, as per the manual, it doesn't play well with the Gold Card / Super Gold Card. After a few weeks of occasional testing, I can confirm that it reads fine, but the writing to SD card is unreliable. This means I have to use one of my regular QLs, but with added memory. Unexpanded, I'm getting like 50 K free memory on a 3 Mb SD volume - not enough to run what I want.

So, until some potential new memory replacements become available (superram?), I'd like to get my hands on a vintage QL memory expansion that's not a GC/SGC. It also doesn't necessarily just have to be a memory expansion, if it comes with a disk interface I'll still take it.

Anything out there?
Wim

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Re: QL memory expansion

Post by Simon_Carr »

Hi, wasn't sure if you are still looking, but I have a working 512k RAM expansion available. It doesn't have any disk interfaces or other stuff, but if you are interested I can dig it out and let you know what it is, and then we can talk? I know it is an original expansion card, I just can't remember what it is off the top of my head!

Simon

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

SuperRAM is coming.... Just, slowly!

Wimdev
ROM Dongle

Post by Wimdev »

Hi Simon,

I got a 512kb Micracle Expanderam from RWAP. It turns out, however, that the ram is a bit too slow for what I intended to use it for. I have a small network of QLs using the QL network and TKII. My plan was to use an expanded QL with the QL-SD interface, and have it serve the SD card to the other QLs. Turns out the ram is too slow (22 seconds on the speed test vs 17 seconds for full speed / ROM), so the timings are off and the network does not work with FSERVE.

Let me know what you have - it might work better.

Dave - will the superram be full speed so a TKII in RAM will work?

cheers,
Wim

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Yes, Wim, the SuperRAM is full speed. It would get 17 seconds in that test, and can hold TKII in fast RAM too. QL Network will perform correctly and FSERVE will work. It is QL-SD compatible.

Wimdev
ROM Dongle

Post by Wimdev »

Hi Dave,

That's very good to hear. Keep us posted on the progress - can't wait.

Wim

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

It has taken way too long. I take full responsibility.

Getting rid of the LLC will really help me.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I would put in faster DRAM chips into the 512K Expansion, I have a Miracle 256K Expansion, with 12ns DRAM chips installed, which does not detect the SD card in QL-SD. However, recently repaired a Trump Card and fitted new 10ns DRAM chips and the QL-SD works great.

I will get some more 10ns DRAMs for the 256K expansion to make that work at full speed.

The Network and works better if Minerva is installed, as all the bugs in AH, JM, JS have been corrected. The down side is that software has to be written correctly and not assume the screen is at the same place. But since there is a Management Trap call to tell us this, then it is not a problem.

Also Minerva gives 98% speed of Lightning Graphics extensions without the overhead of the space required for loading Lightning.

Regards,

Derek
prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Just a small point the chips marked 10, are 100ns, so generally take the number and multiply by 10.

For the record my expanderam has 08 chips on so 80ns :)

Phill.

Wimdev
ROM Dongle

Post by Wimdev »

So, my expanderam has 16 chips marked 8610PS059 D41256C-15. It take it that means they are 256 kilobit each at 150 ns. Is the consensus that I can take them out and replace them with faster RAM to improve speed, without having to swap anything else?

This is assuming I can still find these chips.

Thanks,
Wim