QConnect Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QConnect Software

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Doug,

I should have the manual, so I will scan that.

Regards,

Derek
Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Many thanks Derek! I have the manual, I'm just lacking the software, but I'm sure that will be very useful to others. If it would be possible to get hold of the program too, that would be brilliant :)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I don't see any harm in uploading the software here as it only works if you have the Tandata modem stack.

There was a later version released by Quanta, but that would need their permission to distribute.

I have at least 2 versions of the software (copied into windows folders using q-emulator), so you will need to unzip them to a desktop then use q-emulator to get them back onto disk. If you could check which version works (If any) and let Dilwyn have the relevant version he could upload it to the Sinclair QL Homepage (although Dilwyn prefers them to be zipped from within the QL).

See attachments to this post for the various versions I have - no idea as to whether they might have different version numbers etc...
Attachments
QConnect - 2 versions.zip
(108.63 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Awesome, many thanks Rich!

I'll give these a try. Having a quick look on q-emulator, all versions supplied flash up briefly that they are version 2.0, before the main menu comes up. So at least at face value, the only variation appears to be the different mdv/flp versions.

I'll get them over to my QL and see what's what. It will be a good exercise for me to figure everything out as someone returning to the scene, just in terms of the task of getting the files onto a QL format disc and zipping them natively on the QL, as much as anything else...

I'll keep you posted!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I wonder who Scicon are mentioned in the boot file - "Copyright Scicon 1985"

Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Yes that's an interesting one. The software is singled out for particular praise here: https://www.sinclairuser.com/040/qlhard.htm

...but that's all I could find with a basic Google

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

RWAP wrote:I wonder who Scicon are mentioned in the boot file - "Copyright Scicon 1985"
It was probably Scicon Limited - wound up in 2012 - https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00920329

No sign of who the directors were in the 80s, but I have reached out to someone on LinkedIn who was a developer for the company in case he can clarify them / still has any source code!

Raptor
ROM Dongle

Post by Raptor »

I have just acquired the tandata stack does anyone know where I can get qconnect as not with them

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

Raptor wrote:where I can get qconnect
https://www.ebay.de/itm/TANDATA-Q-CONNE ... 2007126456

roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Post by roninfourseven »

Thank god for forums like this, I just found my Q-Connect stack of 3 modules. The manual I have is intact and aside from some scribblings from a previous owner, in great condition.

Sadly the microdrive cartridge self destructed some time ago, so very happy to have found the software for download here.

Good stuff folks.