QConnect Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
stewie
ROM Dongle

QConnect Software

Post by stewie »

Hi

I've dusted off my Q-Connect HW to try wth the WiFi232 Hayes modem module but having problem with the QConnect microdrive cartridge which is having issues loading the QConnect, B3 and B4 files

Does anybody know if its possible to download the QConnect software?

Thanks
Stewart

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: QConnect Software

Post by RWAP »

I am really not sure what the copyright position is with the Q-Connect software, as there appear to be various versions, most of which have been preserved.

a) The original Q-Connect software supplied with the OEM / Tandata Q-Mod / Q-Connect / Q-Call hardware stack
b) QUANTA also supplied a version of Q-Connect which was an updated version of the original. I don't know if this was suitable for use with any other hardware

QUANTA presumably own the rights to Q-Connect although that needs clarification.

I guess there would be no harm in providing the missing / corrupt files, but you would need to clarify which version you have!

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I'd guess whoever has the original Tandata hardware has the right to use the software, as it was never sold separately to my knowledge.

I would also guess whoever hasn't, would obviously have not much use for it. I'd guess owning the hardware is enough proof of purchase, at least for the original Tandata software.

Stewart, there's a driver on Dilwyn's site that apparently lets the QConnect talk to an arbitrary Modem connected to the QConnect: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/internet/QCON_Driver_v0_99.zip

Jan, the original author is a user of this site - You may want to send him a PM to clarify.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I used to use Qconnect. I should have the Microdrive Cartridge. I will see if I can find it and make copy of it.

I should have the manual, I will get it scanned.

I used Qconnect to use Hayes modem on a BBS. But I had problems with data over run problems. The Qvonnect serial port would lock up an no data would flow. Requring a reset.

I dumped the Qconnect and installed Hermes with the Hayes modem connected to SER2, everything worked better than having Qconnect.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

tofro wrote:I'd guess whoever has the original Tandata hardware has the right to use the software, as it was never sold separately to my knowledge.

I would also guess whoever hasn't, would obviously have not much use for it. I'd guess owning the hardware is enough proof of purchase, at least for the original Tandata software.

Stewart, there's a driver on Dilwyn's site that apparently lets the QConnect talk to an arbitrary Modem connected to the QConnect: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/internet/QCON_Driver_v0_99.zip

Jan, the original author is a user of this site - You may want to send him a PM to clarify.
Oh dear... I wrote this driver in 1990, apparently because some people wanted to run a BBS with Qconnect. The Qconnect box works like an interspeeder and uses a special character ($31) as escape in the serial data. In the Tandata software this was implemented at the application level but if you want to use any other software you need this driver which places itself in front of the serial driver so that communication is transparent to the application program.
I've never owned a Qconnect but probably wrote this driver using technical specs from the Tandata stack. I still have the source available btw.

Jan.

Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Hi guys,

I have the Tandata stack featuring all three bits of black plastic but alas no software to try it out and see if it works. I was wondering if the QConnect software was now available somewhere following your conversations last year?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice! I'm just interested to see if I can get it to do something - connect to a BBS or something basic that just confirms that the various bits are alive!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have some spare manuals and probably some microdrive cartridges with the original software if I look....

No idea of the copyright status though

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The QConnect software came with the Tandata stack. If you have the Tandata stack you automatically have a license to use the software.

Hope this helps.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have the Qconnect Microdrive Cartridge, I think the felt pads need replacing. I will see if I can find time to do this and post the software for download.

Regards,

Derek
Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Thanks guys, Derek, that would be great if you are able to do that!

(If I need to prove ownership of the hardware I'm happy to take a snap of it next to a recent newspaper, or whatever!)

Cheers,

Doug