Website

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Website

Post by dilwyn »

Once again i'm unable to update my website, this time because of failed Windoze updates on my PC. I think i managed to upload an update of Win-Dos program by Bob Spelten to Files page, although the flaming pc stopped working at the end of the upload, meaning i cant complete all the other uploads waiting to be done. I seem to spend more time fixing problems lately than getting anything actually done, in fact i am only getting a few minutes done here and there, actively considering giving up completely at the moment as the only machines working are phone and Kindle.

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Re: Website

Post by stevepoole »

Hi,
Last week I was walking down a street in Evian, the Alps, when a PC came crashing down into the street!
Where were you at the time Dilwyn?
Best wishes,
Steve Poole.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

dilwyn wrote:Once again i'm unable to update my website, this time because of failed Windoze updates on my PC. I think i managed to upload an update of Win-Dos program by Bob Spelten to Files page, although the flaming pc stopped working at the end of the upload, meaning i cant complete all the other uploads waiting to be done. I seem to spend more time fixing problems lately than getting anything actually done, in fact i am only getting a few minutes done here and there, actively considering giving up completely at the moment as the only machines working are phone and Kindle.
Maybe time to dump Windows and move to Linux, my Mint Linux laptop never crashes and is more secure than Windows.

All QL emulation works as well.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Update KB4015549 (April cumulative update) screws up Windows on certain systems. Many users have reported problems with no helpful fixes to the problem so far.

Linux is not an option for me, so **** that bloody unhelpful comment, Derek.

Timbucus
ROM Dongle

Post by Timbucus »

Maybe its time to get the QL's internet and TCP/IP stack sorted then we wouldn't need Windows or Linux for secure computing with their associated updates - let's face it who's going to spear phish the QL community - even the NSA probably don't have QDOS/68000 programmers...

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Timbucus wrote:- even the NSA probably don't have QDOS/68000 programmers...
But they have experiences in programming a VAX :D

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

dilwyn wrote:Update KB4015549 so fuck that bloody unhelpful comment, Derek.
That's nice, I was only trying to be helpful... I will not bother in future

Regards,

Derek
Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Hey boys, kept cool. I also had a problem with Win10 on a refurbished PC, not accepting my key code. It works but do not let me change the desktop background colour. What a sh*t.

And the so-called emulation installation under XP or 7 is merely for the a**hole. It simply doesen't work. Scanner, TV-card, nothing. And USB3 is not USB3. There is always a message that my USB stick supports faster speed. Nevertheless, which port I use, even the genuine USB3 ports. Sh*t happens.

I think, I will make a Win7 downgrade. This will work and there are drivers for all my additional devices.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

No problems, just do not like swearing...

I am not anti-Windows, here is a run down:

Windows 10 PC, Corei7 12Gb ram, 2Tb storage, Workstation, to run Altium Designer 16, Soldworks 2014, Autocad.
Windows XP Netbook, 2Gb ram, 360Gb HD, to inlock mobile phone, repair iPads, iPhones.
Windows 7 HP Corei3 Laptop, 4Gb ram, 250Gb HD, ebook server using calibre.
Windows 7 Dell Inspiron Laptop, Dual Core, 4Gb ram, 250Gb HD, QPC2 workstation
Linux NAS FreeNAS Server, Quad Core, 8Gb ram, 4Tb ZFS.
Mint v18.1 Linux Core i7 4Gb ram, 250Gb SDD. Day to Day usage.

So you see I use everything.

I am looking to put my old BBS on a QL via a Raspberry PI as a gateway to Interenet.

Regards,

Derek