Running SMSQ/E

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Running SMSQ/E

Post by tofro »

Didn't know that, thanks Marcel - An old dog still learns a new trick every day.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Only the F1/F2 keys work on Superhermes, the IPC extensions need to be loaded, other wise the keyboard will not work.

But I note from your pictures, that the Qubide rom label says v2.01 + IPCEXT UK so the Superhermes extensions are loaded at power up as rom files. Have a look at the startup screen there should be a Superhermes banner.
I've been having trouble with the original Qubide card, I've had to use a modern replacement - http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... r-ql-21804
How do I load the IPC extensions and where can I download them from?

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Rob,

The Superhermes files used to be supplied on a floppy disk. But I guess you have not got this supplied.

The Superhermes files should be on Tony Firshman's or Dilwyn's web site.

But here is the UK Superhermes files

On power up only F1/F2 work and you will have to load the ipcextuk_bin file in boot file for the keyboard will not work.

The zip file also has a ROM version of the IPCext file, which can be loaded from rom on power up.

Pity the Rmdisq was not available. as rom files can be soft loaded from the Romdisq directory.

What is wrong with the original Qubide?
Attachments
Superhermes uk.zip
(24.27 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

Regards,

Derek
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Derek_Stewart wrote:What is wrong with the original Qubide?
The original one is very hit and miss, sometimes it finds the drive, sometimes it doesn't, I've made sure everything is seated correctly and I've cleaned the contacts, but no joy. :(
(I also tried a selection of IDE drives and cables)

Thanks for the Superhermes files, I've got the QubIDE clone working with the Aurora and the keyboard now works!
So far, the QubIDE clone has found every drive I've attached, first time!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

robheaton wrote: Thanks for the Superhermes files, I've got the QubIDE clone working with the Aurora and the keyboard now works!
So far, the QubIDE clone has found every drive I've attached, first time!
Bravo. How about a picture or two of the system, Rob?

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

dilwyn wrote:Bravo. How about a picture or two of the system, Rob?
Here you go!
rear.jpg
Internals2.jpg
Internals.jpg
cased.jpg

--
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Nice! The system has more space in the case than mine.

Here's my Aurora/Super Gold Card/SuperHermes Lite/Qubide/MPlane. It's built in a small Epson computer case and called a Minis-QL. Q-Branch produced a few of them as kits some years ago.

The SuperHermes extensions are in a small plug in rom card bottom left of the first picture. It used to have a RomDisq card, though that's now on a backup QL.

The hard disk broke a couple of years ago and has since been replaced with a Compact Flash-IDE adaptor plugged into the Qubide. I also found online an SD-card IDE interface which worked with the Qubide, though I never managed to get both working together in the same computer.
minisqlboard.jpg
minisql3.jpg
minisql1.gif
minisql_rear.jpg

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Nice machine!
I've been cursing the lack of space in mine!

That small ROM card would be handy, if I could find one, mine loads the IPC extensions from the hard drive.
(Not really a problem though!)

--
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If you have a Care Rom Port adapter, like the Toolkit 2 was supplied. With a couple of line cut and bridged, a 16K eprom can be added. Or is this something that is required, I am sure that a ROM board could be easily made.

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

If you have a Care Rom Port adapter, like the Toolkit 2 was supplied. With a couple of line cut and bridged, a 16K eprom can be added. Or is this something that is required, I am sure that a ROM board could be easily made.
I have a load of these ROM cartridges with or without the plastic cases - cost £5 for a cased one, £3 for uncased - plus postage

I think however, that Rob was talking of the RomDisq