Running SMSQ/E

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
robheaton
Site Admin

Running SMSQ/E

Post by robheaton »

I'm trying to get SMSQ/E running on an Aurora with Super Gold Card & QubIDE.

I've downloaded SMSQ/E 3.27 binaries, but I'm not sure how to load it, nor which file I should actually load.
The readme in the download doesn't have any info either :(

I've read the SMSQ/E manual on Dilwyns site, but that doesn't mention the Aurora, plus it looks like the filenames in the SMSQ/E download have changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Running SMSQ/E

Post by tofro »

Rob,

the difficult thing is finding the correct binary (I don't have an Aurora, so cannot help with this)

Once you got it, just simply EXEC or LRESPR it (both will work, and the GC won't care)
I use a BOOT file like this:

Code: Select all

IF (VER$ <> "HBA")
	LRESPR win1_smsqe_cde
ENDIF

Newer versions apparently no longer need this check, but I just left it in there.

When you use a QubIDE, make sure it is set to the proper hardware address, otherwise it (or the whole setup) will not work. If I recall it right, it needs to be set to the ROM slot ($C000) or upper memory area ($FC000). Otherwise, either QubIDE, Aurora, or everything ( ;) ) will not work.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

robheaton wrote:I'm trying to get SMSQ/E running on an Aurora with Super Gold Card & QubIDE.

I've downloaded SMSQ/E 3.27 binaries, but I'm not sure how to load it, nor which file I should actually load.
The readme in the download doesn't have any info either :(

I've read the SMSQ/E manual on Dilwyns site, but that doesn't mention the Aurora, plus it looks like the filenames in the SMSQ/E download have changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Use the version with 'Aurora' in the filename. This will support either normal QL screen modes or higher resolutions or even 256 colour mode.

To install the file, assuming you put Aurora_bin (it might be called Aurora.bin, depending on how you unzipped it) on WIN1_

LRESPR WIN1_AURORA_BIN

You can use GoldCard_bin, but that doesn't support the newer graphic modes.

Your other email said the machine had a SuperHermes - this may need some keyboard extensions loaded, but as I'm not at home I can't check if needed under SMSQ/E, what they're called (IpcExt_bin or something like that? Or maybe that's Hermes) and where in a boot program. I do have an Aurora with Super Gold Card and SuperHermes Lite which I could dig out and set up to try to help you (when I get time).

The SMSQ/E manual is being updated as I get time, you may have noticed that the version I posted on here this week has reference to the new filenames. Unfortunately, I don't get notified of changes, so the manual only gets updated when I make a conscious effort to make time to check what's changed.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Only the F1/F2 keys work on Superhermes, the IPC extensions need to be loaded, other wise the keyboard will not work.

But I note from your pictures, that the Qubide rom label says v2.01 + IPCEXT UK so the Superhermes extensions are loaded at power up as rom files. Have a look at the startup screen there should be a Superhermes banner.

Regards,

Derek
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Thanks for all the help, I'll give this a go later today!

Does SMSQ/E need unzipping on the Aurora? Or can I unzip it in Windows?
As the binary download of SMSQ/E is too big for me to put on a floppy to transfer it.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

robheaton wrote:Thanks for all the help, I'll give this a go later today!

As the binary download of SMSQ/E is too big for me to put on a floppy to transfer it.
You can unzip on Windows. The binary is normally not EXECed, so you can do without the header.

Tobias

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

tofro wrote:
Once you got it, just simply EXEC or LRESPR it (both will work, and the GC won't care)
I use a BOOT file like this:

Code: Select all

IF (VER$ <> "HBA")
	LRESPR win1_smsqe_cde
ENDIF

Newer versions apparently no longer need this check, but I just left it in there.
Looks like this check is still needed! I've setup a boot file to load SMSQ/E and now it loads it over and over again in a loop :o

How do I stop the boot file from running?

--
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Repeatedly press <CTRL>+<Space> during the startup.

Tobias

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

tofro wrote:Repeatedly press <CTRL>+<Space> during the startup.
Thank you! :D

--
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

tofro wrote:
robheaton wrote:Thanks for all the help, I'll give this a go later today!

You can unzip on Windows. The binary is normally not EXECed, so you can do without the header.
Actually that's not 100% true, there is a header and it is used by SMSQ/E to recognize another LRESPR of SMSQ/E, in order to prevent the boot loop rob has experienced.