Running SMSQ/E

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
robheaton
Site Admin

Re: Running SMSQ/E

Post by robheaton »

RWAP wrote:I think however, that Rob was talking of the RomDisq
It would just be nice to have the keyboard extensions in some sort of ROM, so I'm not reliant on the hard drive.
I don't have a EPROM burner, can anyone on here burn a ROM for me?

Rich, I'll be in touch about a ROM cart!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

RWAP wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

If you have a Care Rom Port adapter, like the Toolkit 2 was supplied. With a couple of line cut and bridged, a 16K eprom can be added. Or is this something that is required, I am sure that a ROM board could be easily made.
I have a load of these ROM cartridges with or without the plastic cases - cost £5 for a cased one, £3 for uncased - plus postage

I think however, that Rob was talking of the RomDisq
I see no mention of Romdisq... If a Romdisq is required, they are very scarce. I have asked him many times for the ability to make the Romdisq. Seemingly impossible. Only Tony Firshman can make these...

With regards to the the Care ROM cartridges, I can programme the eprom.

Regards,

Derek
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Derek_Stewart wrote:With regards to the the Care ROM cartridges, I can programme the eprom.
If you could programme an eprom for me, that would great!
Obviously I would pay you for this!

I also may need a few pointers on what's needed to adapt the ROM cartridge to accept an eprom.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Rob,

The Care Rom Port adapter will take a standard 16K erpom, it is mapped to the Rom Port area of the QL memory map, so that on power-up the rom plugged into the Rom Port will be initialised first.

Looking at your itemised picture, you have an Mplane which has a Rom Port connection already bulitin and you have a Care Rom Port adapter with Superhermes extensions already in place.

All you have to do is to make sure that anything mapped to the ROM Port is mapped else where. Usually this is Qubide, which allows selecting a rom address by moving the jumpers on the board. But this only will work a normal QL and Super Gold Card.

As the Gold Card and Trump Card take all the avaialble ROM addresses and only the Rom Port is left.

Regards,

Derek
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Derek_Stewart wrote:You have a Care Rom Port adapter with Superhermes extensions already in place.
Hi Derek,
I don't have a Care ROM Port adapter at the moment, I've ordered one from Rich, but will need a suitable eprom.

The itemised picture on this thread was of Dilwyns setup.

--
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the confusion.

Please check your setup, if you have an Mplane and there is a rom socket, it is located in the middle of the Mplane. Most pf the Mplane have them fitted.

I have lots of eproms, so can programme the the rom based extensions for you. If you are happy to plug the eprom into the adapter then PM your address and I will sort out an eprom for you.

But the Superhermes extensions are not that large, so there is extra space left over to add other rom based extenstions, by using Jochen Merz's Eprom Manager of the DIY Toolkit Vol F Custom Toolkits.

Regards,

Derek
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Hi Derek,
There is a ROM socket on my Mplane, so should be good to go!

I'll send you a PM with my address, just let me know what I owe you.

I'll have a read up on Jochen Merz's Eprom Manager.

Thanks again!

--
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

tofro wrote:Rob,

the difficult thing is finding the correct binary (I don't have an Aurora, so cannot help with this)

Once you got it, just simply EXEC or LRESPR it (both will work, and the GC won't care)
I use a BOOT file like this:

Code: Select all

IF (VER$ <> "HBA")
	LRESPR win1_smsqe_cde
ENDIF

Newer versions apparently no longer need this check, but I just left it in there.

When you use a QubIDE, make sure it is set to the proper hardware address, otherwise it (or the whole setup) will not work. If I recall it right, it needs to be set to the ROM slot ($C000) or upper memory area ($FC000). Otherwise, either QubIDE, Aurora, or everything ( ;) ) will not work.

Tobias
What about the Miraculous Winny? I'm trying now SMSQ/E V.3.31 but seems can't install any kind of HW connected to the ROM port :-(

So the Miracle HD Drive is incompatibile with SMSQ/E? Tony Tebby incompatibile with himself? ;)

Oh my god!

;)

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

I've decided it's time to rehouse my Aurora, it's current case is just far too small.

Can any case be used? - I've not stripped the machine down to have a proper look.

--
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

robheaton wrote:I've decided it's time to rehouse my Aurora, it's current case is just far too small.

Can any case be used? - I've not stripped the machine down to have a proper look.
Hi Rob, if this is the machine I think it is, then it's got the mplane backplane in it (https://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id=qlwiki:mplane), so it should fit in a small tower case or an old desktop case.

If you do decide to move it from it's current case, can I make a very odd request in true Hermit Crab Style - will you sell me the original one back?

That's an old rig of mine by the way ;-)