Mortville Manor re-released

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Mortville Manor re-released

Post by RWAP »

We have now re-released the classic detective graphic adventure, Mortville Manor, by Pyramide.

Mortville Manor was a classic adventure which had many people stumped as they tried to work out the clues to solve this mystery set inside a mansion.

We have also set up its own page on our RWAP Adventures site, so that people can share their experiences and ask for help through the online guestbook:
http://www.rwapadventures.com/QL/mortville_manor.html

Cost is £10 for a copy on disk - available from:
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... Manor-1604

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Mortville Manor re-released

Post by vanpeebles »

Excellent news, I've been wanting to play this for ages. Come payday you will have an order for a few games. Keep up the good work! :ugeek:

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to discuss the game plot. I happen to have two cart version of the game. Manual from QL Wiki Adventure site.

I have also translated from French some solution tips from `lankor.net' that go well with an ATARI ST version, that I have too.
ST version is easier to play, but working out a solution on QL version seems more tempting a venture.

Anyone completed the game on the QL?

Tomas

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

This is the first game I have played on my QL. For those not knowing the game plot, here is a teaser.

MANOIR DE MORTEVIELLE
It is February 1951, initial scene in the office of Jerome Lange, a private eye. You are to take his role as he receives a letter from Julia, a childhood friend, worried, who asks you to join her at the manor. Arrived at the place, you learn about Julia's death, following a pulmonary ambulant. It's the storm, you have to stay, understand the circumstances of her death, and the real reason for her call. Her letter mentions clues hidden behind `The Wall of Silence'.
ST version is coded in OSS Pascal, I wonder what compiler was used to create QL one. OSS Pascal uses overlays as the whole compiler and linker would not fit in the memory. Overlays also used in the actual QL game as it seems a specific engine handles graphics and conversation in two overlays.

Language interpreter accepts a range of vocabulary, for verbs, only first letters with a number of blanks are provided in the manual, to be discovered as part of the game itself.
List, Open, Close, Go, ... just to give a few.

Arriving to the Manor through the mountains and snow storm, it cannot be unnoticed the plot is possibly inspired by one of Hercule's Poirot cases.

The whole family welcomes you and soon after you are shown to your room, this is were the real investigation begins. To explore the house and grounds of the manor.

Discussion with family members is helped by knowing the whole list of subjects the interpreter understands, given in the manual.

Conversation is simple almost grammar free, example sentences, addressed to family members:

Julia Death
Your Occupation, or Leo Occupation.
Wall Of Silence, when asked about, reveals is the name of the surrounding mountains.

The first clue is found in the dining room when looking at `Coat of Arms' (blazon).

So far I am unable to conclude the investigation, I was once drowned in the well, as somebody cuts the rope above me, once stubbed to death in my room, and once in the cellar. There is also a time limit set to close the case of Julia's death.

I am now editing solution tips from `Lankhor.net' as the translation is not very good and needs also adjusting to correspond to QL version.

Anyone solved the whole case?
Tomas
Last edited by tcat on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Great news, thanks!

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

Although I have completed the game now, some parts still unresolved and remain a mystery.
> Found a flute in the attic, that I can play, but where? Perhaps is a false lead.
> Found keys in the bureau, in the hope to open Julia's room, locked by Leo. How to open Julia's room?
> Manual states, in object mode, Shift+Right Arrow, moves from one object to another, was never able to do.

Tomas

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

Flute seems a false lead. Keys to Julia's room found under pillow in Leo's room.
Shift+Right Arrow works when searching contents of cabinets.
I have worked out hopefully most of the questions to be asked to manor inhabitants.
Wall of silence, leads to the crypt.

I still wonder what we can use `play' verb for, as there are some bridge cards found in
one of the manor bedrooms?

Good game, plays very well.
Tomas

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

A little investigation at `lankhor.net' revealed game origin.
First release 1987
Also known as Le Manoir de Mortevielle
Developed by Lankhor
Published by Lankhor
Distributed by (unknown)
Platforms MS-DOS, Amiga, Atari ST,
Amstrad CPC, Sinclair QL
Engine Mortevielle
Could QL version predate PC one? As dumping code shows, the game was probably coded in Computer ONE Pascal, while ST version in OSS Pascal.

Code: Select all

00007800  00 26 60 00 e3 2a 7f 20  43 6f 6d 70 75 74 65 72  |.&`..*. Computer|
00007810  20 4f 6e 65 20 31 39 38  35 00 00 04 63 6f 6e 5f  | One 1985...con_|
`Mortevielle' engine is still maintained and was recoded in C++ framework as part of `ScummVM'. It would be interesting to re-engineer the engine back to Pascal, as I believe this would unveil a whole lot of possibilities for QL adventure gaming on bare machines.

We follow this topic here, http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1788
Any ideas?
Last edited by tcat on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarchos
Trump Card

Post by Zarchos »

I believe so, yes : the QL version is the 1st version, from 1987, before the creation of Lankhor studio.
http://www.lankhor.net/jeux.php?jeu=15& ... esentation

http://www.rom-game.fr/news/2664-Manoir ... nkhor.html
Extract :
'
A savoir qu'une première version peu connue était déjà sortie sur SINCLAIR QL.
'
translates to :
'
Notice a first version, not well known, was already available for the Sinclair QL

'

Owner of various QLs including accelerated beasts, and also a happy Q68 owner ;)
Now porting SOTB to the Archies, to then port it to the Q68.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Archimedes ... +%28100%25