Q60

The Thor, Aurora, Q40 and Q60 etc. are discussed here.
tofro
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Q60

Postby tofro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 pm

I would have interest in another board.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Postby Mr_Navigator » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:40 pm

ditto, but you haven't come back on a reply yet :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
robheaton
Site Admin

Postby robheaton » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:23 am

Any update on this?
Is a new run of Q60 boards on the horizon?

Current Retro Hardware :-
ZX80 Clone, ZX81 + Chroma + ZXPand + Zeddynet, Just Speccy 128, BB Sinclair QL + Trump Card Clone, Aurora + Super GC + QubIDE.
BBC Model B 32k + Datacenter + Z80 Tube, BBC Master 128k + Datacenter & 6502 Tube.
Commodore 64.
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Postby Mr_Navigator » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Board for me too

"edit - I replied without looking at the last but on entry only to find I had already replied"

I think most people would like to have a final response positive or negative, with the advent of Raspberry Pi a distinct possibility of running an emulated QL quite cheaply inside a QL case of other such container, any older device such as a Q60 or SuperGold Card will attract interest although I am not so sure of some of the chips used availability though.

Having read a few posts both here on the forum and the QL Users List, there still seems to be a target audience for such exploration. I suppose it's just a case of how many, which makes it viable or not for someone to put the time and effort in.

Either way keeping people hanging is sometimes frustrating.

If your out there, let us know :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brane2
Trump Card

Postby Brane2 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Mr_Navigator wrote:Board for me too

"edit - I replied without looking at the last but on entry only to find I had already replied"

I think most people would like to have a final response positive or negative, with the advent of Raspberry Pi a distinct possibility of running an emulated QL quite cheaply inside a QL case of other such container, any older device such as a Q60 or SuperGold Card will attract interest although I am not so sure of some of the chips used availability though.

Having read a few posts both here on the forum and the QL Users List, there still seems to be a target audience for such exploration. I suppose it's just a case of how many, which makes it viable or not for someone to put the time and effort in.

Either way keeping people hanging is sometimes frustrating.

If your out there, let us know :)

I would be itnerested, but Quick check on Farnell for 68060 prices blew my pants off. 68K sure is expensive, from simplest 68SEC000 to 68060.

060 is priced like it was meant for space program, but performancewise it is a midget.

If you can get somewhere 060 chips for peanuts, then it might be worth it.

Otherwise, synthesizing something in latest Xilinx Artix ( Spartan descendent) might be the best option. For me, everything over 030 at 30 MHz should be fine ( modern Xilinx should manage much more than that).

Also, one could reimplement all of the problematic perifery and maybe add new one.

Just yestaerday I was searching around for magnetic tape head data. It would be ton of fun to reimplement microdrive board with decent FPGA so that it could achieve much more than 100 kbit/s adn 100kiB per unit. And be able to do data recovery and read/write Spectrum's data format...

On the journey of life I chose the psycho path...
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Postby Mr_Navigator » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Just yestaerday I was searching around for magnetic tape head data. It would be ton of fun to reimplement microdrive board with decent FPGA so that it could achieve much more than 100 kbit/s adn 100kiB per unit. And be able to do data recovery and read/write Spectrum's data format...

Ah! but have you seen this little beauty :)
Attachments
qlsd.jpg

Brane2
Trump Card

Postby Brane2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Meh. I like CompactFlash, but whole point of QL is to use some CrazyAss memory storage unit.

Decent example would be say writing the binary info with precise laser on the wings of living mosquito colony or somesuch.

I wasn't seeking a way to increase capacity of actually _useful_ medium, but to keep the spirit ( as in "Ghost In The Shell" ) alive. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Brane2 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Postby dilwyn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Mr_Navigator wrote:

Ah! but have you seen this little beauty :)

Replace MDV2 with a SD card, put a small fan onto MDV1 spindle, when you want a breath of air or QL gets too hot, type REPEAT loop:DIR MDV1_

:o)
(credit to whoever I stole that idea from, can't remember where I read it originally)

Dilwyn

Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk
Brane2
Trump Card

Postby Brane2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm serious- does anyone sell thetse days good quality but cheap 2-track stereo or 4-track autoreverse heads ?

It would be loads of fun to "redo" microdrive but with dictaphone or even full size audiocassete.

With the same basic idea of high speed tape unit ( say 1/4 or 1/2 m/s)...

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Postby vanpeebles » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:25 pm

dilwyn wrote:Replace MDV2 with a SD card, put a small fan onto MDV1 spindle, when you want a breath of air or QL gets too hot, type REPEAT loop:DIR MDV1_

:o)
(credit to whoever I stole that idea from, can't remember where I read it originally)

Dilwyn

That was me, it made it to the Quanta mag as well! :oops:

Return to “Compatibles Corner”