CST Thor 1

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
gregtaylor
ROM Dongle

Re: CST Thor 1

Post by gregtaylor »

Just some advice from problems I have found from powder coating motorcycle frames. Watch out for anything earthing through the box. You might need to scratch off the powder coating around the screw holes to get a good earth connection. Great improvement though, better than when it left the factory. Looking forward to more photos.

Greg

bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by bagpuss22 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
bagpuss22 wrote:
Ralf R. wrote:Looks great! Now I hope, the electronics will work, too.
I hope so too! :shock:

I have to admit I should have tested the internals first but I am hoping that they should be easy to test and fix (if needed).

The PSU, floppies and QL board are modular and replaceable, the battery damage to the extension card was limited to around
the RTC. I have cleaned that up and replaced a couple of broken tracks, so fingers crossed.
Hi,

I have a Thor 1, but no power supply, I was going to adapt a small ATX power supply to power the Thor 1. Which I have not got around to yet.

I have some spare Thor 1 untested expansion boards, another project was to build another Thor 1 into a PC case with an AT power supply.
Nice one! Would be good if you can get it running ;)

If my expansion board fails to power up I may come in your direction, cap in hand :lol:

Russ

bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by bagpuss22 »

gregtaylor wrote:Just some advice from problems I have found from powder coating motorcycle frames. Watch out for anything earthing through the box. You might need to scratch off the powder coating around the screw holes to get a good earth connection. Great improvement though, better than when it left the factory. Looking forward to more photos.

Greg
Thanks Greg,

Will keep that in mind. This was one of the reasons I decided to use brass fixtures and fittings

Russ

bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by bagpuss22 »

OK a small update today as been unwell.

Case stickers arrived and one installed. Power supply and connectors back in and tested. PSU seems OK.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Perfect. Soon, you can say to have the last original factory packed Thor 1 found elsewhere in a cellar in Denmark :) :) :)

bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by bagpuss22 »

Does anyone have the software and manuals for the Thor 2F ?

Looking at the notes there were 2 disks, one with 1F, 2F or 1FW on and another with THIRUTIL on.

A User manual would be good too, if a PDF is available...

@Derek, not sure if you have a spare board but I would be interested in replacing mine with one without battery damage.
I am going to repair mine anyway. Also any Thor infor would be appreciated.

Thanks

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

bagpuss22 wrote:Does anyone have the software and manuals for the Thor 2F ?

Looking at the notes there were 2 disks, one with 1F, 2F or 1FW on and another with THIRUTIL on.

@Derek, not sure if you have a spare board but I would be interested in replacing mine with one without battery damage.

Thanks
Hi,

I will have a look at the Thor Expansion boards, they are untested and maybe faulty.

There is Thor Manuals on Dilwyn's site:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/thor/index.html

I have some Thor Disks, I will see if I can make some disk images or ZIP up the software.

I will get back to you on this.

Regards,

Derek
bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by bagpuss22 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
bagpuss22 wrote:Does anyone have the software and manuals for the Thor 2F ?

Thanks
Hi,

I will have a look at the Thor Expansion boards, they are untested and maybe faulty.

There is Thor Manuals on Dilwyn's site:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/thor/index.html

I have some Thor Disks, I will see if I can make some disk images or ZIP up the software.

I will get back to you on this.

Thanks Derek,

This is much appreciated.

:D

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

I am very excited about a running Thor. Would it be Thor 1 or 2? Had the early ones a mouse port?

bagpuss22
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by bagpuss22 »

Ralf R. wrote:I am very excited about a running Thor. Would it be Thor 1 or 2? Had the early ones a mouse port?
The one I have is a Thor 1, the 2F version which has 2 floppy drives.

I am assuming that the 9 pin serial port on the back of the unit can be used to run a serial mouse? I have yet to confirm this but
the photograph I saw did show a 3 button mouse.

If you go to Binary Dinosaurs here: http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/cst/index.php

Thor 1 up and running.