DIY - QL style keyboard with mechanical Cherry keys ?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: DIY - QL style keyboard with mechanical Cherry keys ?

Post by 1024MAK »

Sounds interesting... ;)

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Yeah...nothing is better than a mechanical Cherry keyboard. I have one for my Atari, really wonderful, 20 years old an still working.

I'll take one for QL.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Ralf R. wrote:...nothing is better than a mechanical Cherry keyboard....
Objection ;)

The original ("klickediklack") IBM PC keyboard. I have used one until just some years ago - Still the ultimate keyboard IMHO.

BTW: There is an US company that builds them (well, "replicas") to order. If I wouldn't use the laptop mainly these days I might have problems resisting to order one.

Regards,
Tobias

(Company at http://www.pckeyboard.com/ in case someone is interested)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Brane2 wrote:Would something like that interest anyone ?

I'm thinking about DIY keyboard with QL-styled housing

PC compatibility would be an option, also SD/CF card slots etc...
How about a keyboard that fits directly into the QL case, replacing the original?
Like the "Schön" keyboard, but good?

Peter

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Maybe a good idea would be to reproduce the Schon keyboard. I have only seen it is photographs, so can not comment on the amount of work required.

Maybe someone who was a Schon Keyboard can take some pictures of the inside of the keyboard. With a view that we/I can see how much work to make a copy.

Derek

Regards,

Derek
Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

I once had the "Schön" PC-keyboard. It was easy to install and had a very good handling. A little goodie: there were also four Cursor keys for diagonal movement.

F6 to F10 and SysReq (CTRL-C) work as suggested.

I was a bit astonished when I heard, that this keyboard was made by a well known professional company, because after two years, there were the first problems with some keys. The PCB side of the keys were very light gold plated (very!) and they oxidized in a hurry after that time.

The PCB of the Interface also was bonded paper (Pertinax), due to the price.

All in all, it was not bad if it has been a better hardware product.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Yeah, it is also a problem that even in bulk, cherry key switches are ~$1.50 each, so 64 keys would have a cost of $96. If 20 people bought one, that's a minimum of $1920 just on switches alone. I think $2000 would go a long way to the development of a USB and HID driver, which would then let people use a replacement laptop keyboard inlay on their QL case. Those would fit really well, be affordable, etc.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Brane2 wrote:So I'm thinking more toward the option of having keybard done as a separate unit but in "QL style". And with the rest of the machine modularized within small, cheap housing. And with at least some if not all crucial parts done within FPGA.
At the German Sinclair meeting last weekend, one could see both. An older compact black PS/2 keyboard looking very QL style (no WIndows key) connected to a Q68 running Minerva and QDOS Classic. Wish I had bought more of those keyboards.

As far as I remember, the only problem with the Schön keyboard was the surface material of the contacts. Pity such a solution doesn't seem viable today.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Any pics at all?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/