US QL assistance...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

US QL assistance...

Post by Dave »

Hi all,

I have a US (samsung?) QL with JSA ROMs. I have a replacement membrane coming in a week or so.

1. It has the standard 512x256 resolution, but the font type/size is different than EU QLs. I am looking for some JM or JS ROMs, but meanwhile, does anyone have an easy way for me to load the UK charset and scaling onto it? Or a dead QL with JM or JS ROMs they're willing to part with?

2. I'd like to plug it into a monitor. Being in the US, this is less simple. Any suggestions? I am considering the RGB->VGA converter board, which is ideal but pricey.

3. I have an assortment of expansions which I will photograph. I do not have manuals for any of this stuff, so when I post the photos, any info would be appreciated.

Dave

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: US QL assistance...

Post by vanpeebles »

Which rgb board did you look at? I thought 40 dollars was a bargain!

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

Dave wrote:1. It has the standard 512x256 resolution, but the font type/size is different than EU QLs. I am looking for some JM or JS ROMs, but meanwhile, does anyone have an easy way for me to load the UK charset and scaling onto it? Or a dead QL with JM or JS ROMs they're willing to part with?
Better use Minerva instead.
Supports both VideoRAMs and multitasking of multiple Basic programs.
This will solve the problem wit font, too.

Usualy it comes in a single chip, but it is possible to burn it into two EPROMs (32 and 16 kB) and place it instead the original ROMs.
Download the latest 1.98 version image here: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/qlrom/min198.zip

I have replaced my german MG ROMs with latest english Minerva, the german error messages are gone and computer is running perfectly.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I have avoided Minerva for only one single reason: I have read and heard that it uses an inverted graphics co-ordinate system compared to QDOS and SMSQ/E. If this is not the case, I would consider Minerva. However, my intention is that this machine become a compatibility test rig.

It has JSU ROMs not JSA ROMs as first stated.

I am debating taking a standard TTL RGB to VGA chipset and designing a custom board for the QL. It would end up costing about the same, or even less, than the ready made boards out there.

Another little project I might add... but might not. I don't see a raging demand for it - though it may be a hidden demand waiting for people to realise it's easy. :)

Still waiting on my replacement membrane to find out if the QL even fully works. Two weeks on Monday...

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Minerva ALLOWS an inverted graphics co-ordinate system by passing a negative SCALE parameter (so you can actually draw a picture upside down on the screen)

However, the default on Minerva (as with all of the SuperBASIC commands) is the QDOS behaviour.

You really should get yourself a copy of the SBASIC/SuperBASIC Reference Manual to check up on how keywords work across all of the operating system variants, if you are going to do a lot of SuperBASIC programming.

I think a TTL RGB to VGA board would be handy for both the QL and Spectrum computers - a lot of people make do with a RGB->SCART lead, although I have never been lucky enough to own a TV on which it worked, or do a composite video mod for the Spectrum.

It depends - would the board mean a QL could be used with a modern flatscreen monitor or TV ?

The membrane should be with you next week (fingers crossed)

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

I'm almost sure, there really were reverted coordinates (X and Y) somewhere in Basic command (which one?) parameters, but it most probably was not Minerva, but one of the early ROMs...

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

You are thinking about the early FB ROM which had AT column,row instead of AT row,column

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I'm referring to the graphics system on Minerva, specifically. I have gone back to that original reference nd it unclearly explained that negative values were allowed. I say unclearly, because I came away with the impression negative values were required!

That was my purpose in asking about ROM identification a while back - I have written a bunch of "in theory this should work" code that inverts the gfx co-ords for Minerva. I guess I can go simplify my code now *grins*

Dave