Anyone with a psu for Microperipherals Floppy Interface?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
olliraa
ROM Dongle

Anyone with a psu for Microperipherals Floppy Interface?

Post by olliraa »

So, I got me a 2-drive bundle with the Microperipherals Floppy interface. Unfortunately there was no psu for the first drive. Would someone be willing to part ways with one?

Another thing: Where can I get the qjump roms (to make the drives flp instead of flv etc) for the Microperipherals Floppy interface?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Anyone with a psu for Microperipherals Floppy Interface?

Post by RWAP »

I have a load of chips here from different interfaces, but none of the QJUMP upgrade chips I am afraid.

I also don't have a MicroP power supply....

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

It would be well worth your while making images of the ROMs - someone in the community could go in and edit them for you and burn you a new copy, and also attach the latest TK2 to it...

olliraa
ROM Dongle

Post by olliraa »

Ok, if the psu itself is hard to find, I'd be very grateful for the specs of the psu. The wiring can't be that complicated as is uses a "standarad" DIN6-plug. Anyone with info on the psu?

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Without knowing a bit more about the drive casing and connections it is a bit difficult, however if this is a standard 3.5 drive inside the casing with the 4 inline connector black red yellow black cable, then this should be fairly straight forward to construct out of an old PC power supply (if you know what your doing)

I think I have one of these twin-drives in my set-up waiting for me to set it up, I will look tonight and see.

I may have an eprom with the recoded FLP also, again amongst my stuff...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

olliraa wrote:Ok, if the psu itself is hard to find, I'd be very grateful for the specs of the psu. The wiring can't be that complicated as is uses a "standarad" DIN6-plug. Anyone with info on the psu?
Another tip: as I assembled for my QL a double disk-drive system, for power supply I used a small wall-block psu with 5 volt output that is the only voltage needed by disk drives: I cut out from an old PC power supply two floppy drive power plugs and I used it to create a new psu :D It works fine!

Only original hardware! :)
olliraa
ROM Dongle

Post by olliraa »

Another tip: as I assembled for my QL a double disk-drive system, for power supply I used a small wall-block psu with 5 volt output that is the only voltage needed by disk drives: I cut out from an old PC power supply two floppy drive power plugs and I used it to create a new psu :D It works fine!
The floppy only requires 5v? I thought it also needs the 12v line, but hey I'm a true beginner when it comes to electronics :shock: If it really works with just 5v, it's very easy indeed to get myself a psu and make the wiring for the original DIN6.

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

olliraa wrote:The floppy only requires 5v?
True for standard 3.5" drives.

olliraa
ROM Dongle

Post by olliraa »

True for standard 3.5" drives.
I opened up the Microperipherals 1. drive and both yellow (5v?) and red (12v?) are connected (see attached image). Should I be able to use the drive with only 5 volts then? Sorry for being a pita ;)
mp.jpg

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

On some mechanisms from that era, the 5v ran the electronics and the 12v ran the motor.

It might be that your mechanism won't operate correctly without 12v.