Video Issue

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Video Issue

Post by Pr0f »

NormanDunbar wrote:What I find amazing about the people on here is that even though the QL is, ahem, 35 years old nearly, we still have people coming up with great ideas on how to make it better.

Sometimes I miss being able to get my hands on the new stuff as it never seems to wotk with QPC due to an incompatible extension slot!

Cheers,
Norm.
plenty of the old black boxes coming up on Ebay at the moment :-)

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I have three dead ones in a box in my basement. A project for "some time when I have time". I think it's mostly keyboard membrane problems, but after a few years in a box, possibly the electrolytics are shot, perhaps.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

NormanDunbar wrote:I think it's mostly keyboard membrane problems, but after a few years in a box, possibly the electrolytics are shot, perhaps.
Normally, the electrolytic capacitors in a QL are fine. And even if some have degraded, it's not terminal.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The electrolytics in the QL power section are pretty solid. I don't think I have ever seen one fail.

That said, I would make changes. Given newer chemistries that make capacitors smaller with larger capacities, I would:

Swap C42, 47uF 10v for 200uF, and also place 22uF ceramic caps across input to ground and output to ground on the 7805. Finally, you couldn't do more for your QL than to run a thicker wire directly from the output of the 7805 to the +5v pin right in the middle of the DRAM (pin 28 of IC4 and IC13.) Finally, a 47uf 6v electrolytic across pin 13 (+) and pin 15 or 35 (-) of the CPU is a pretty cool thing to do to your system too. :)

Wow, we totally hijacked this thread!

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Cheers Dave. When, if, I get a chance, I'll see what transpires.

Nirm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
papanillu
ROM Dongle

Post by papanillu »

Dave wrote: Wow, we totally hijacked this thread!
Don't worry about it, it will return to it's path as soon as i can make the sugested things, meanwhile, the lessons are very interesting............