QL rubber keypad sticking

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
towmater
ROM Dongle

QL rubber keypad sticking

Post by towmater »

I just came across a sweet QL, and have ordered a new keyboard mylar from the UK. A few of the keys, however, don't pop back after being pressed, it seems the rubber is becoming a bit stale.

My initial thought is to paint some rubber cement onto the rubber domes with the aim to make it a bit more resilient, although I'm not certain this will fix things. If that doesn't work I'm thinking of adding springs between the outer key and the rubber. Again, no idea if this will help.

Has anyone overcome this issue?

The QL also came with a 896K Trump Card, but no floppy drive. Can I use a Gotek?

Hopefully the system's NTSC output won't prevent PAL software running. I'm going to put together a SCART cable to see if I can convert to HDMI.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: QL rubber keypad sticking

Post by vanpeebles »

Might be worth giving the mat a good wash in some warm soapy water :D

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Normally, washing in hot soapy water and then rubbing the dry mat between your hands (to get some natural oil onto the rubber from your skin) fixes this issue.

I do have a pile of salvaged rubber mats though - price £4 each plus postage :)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

They do get a bit gummy after a while and warm soapy water does help them. DO NOT let them come into contact with petroleum distillates, as this will destroy them. This includes things like WD40 and Vaseline. The material will break down very quickly.

If the QL has been in a sunny place the phthalates in the bubble mat evaporate. They lose their flexibility and start to become stiffer. Replacement is indicated.

From high school chemistry I understand a little bit of unbuffered wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) mixed 3:1 with alcohol used as a soak for 5-7 days can help.

towmater
ROM Dongle

Post by towmater »

Dave wrote:a little bit of unbuffered wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) mixed 3:1 with alcohol used as a soak for 5-7 days can help.
...you had an interesting chem class. I think when the RWAP mylar arrives I'll do the wash suggestion, if that doesn't do the trick, I'll try the oils, thanks all for your help.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

towmater wrote:...you had an interesting chem class.
There was a decided focus on alcohol. Oh, wait, that was college in general!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

towmater wrote:
Dave wrote:a little bit of unbuffered wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) mixed 3:1 with alcohol used as a soak for 5-7 days can help.
...you had an interesting chem class. I think when the RWAP mylar arrives I'll do the wash suggestion, if that doesn't do the trick, I'll try the oils, thanks all for your help.
As I say, the natural oils in your skin always seem to be enough when I have had problems..

towmater
ROM Dongle

Post by towmater »

While I'm waiting for the keyboard mylar, I pieced together a SCART to HDMI setup. I have no idea if the Gotek will work yet.

Does anyone have an opinion about the Trump revision 1.2a? I have found a 1.36 revision on the web, and could update the rom if it is worth the trouble.

No idea whereCare/Qjump is, hopefully not in the same eprom as Trump 1.26, as that could complicate things.
2018-03-04 00.03.24.jpg

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

Yes, the Toolkit is part of Trump card ROM.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The Gotek works. :D