Note to self...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Note to self...

Post by Dave »

I'll see if I can rustle up some extra bytes for you.

Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Don't send them by post. They always go missing.

You woke me for THAT!!!
HAOUI
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by HAOUI »

Well, QubATA driver does really support big partitions up to 2 GB each but a hard format may take a long time as each sector is written and read twice.
However, if you are enough confident with your media you can choose a quick format and then formatting 2GB partition will go very fast (seconds on basic ql).
Simply set bit #1 in first parameter of win_format command, e.g:
Win_format 3,8 : Remark allow format, quick with 64 sectors/block.

Also, as Tobias said, such big partitions on a QL/640kb is not realistic or useful in any way. On basic QL system I will suggest some little partitions (64 to 256 MB, 4 to 16 sectors/block) for regular daily work and some bigger partitions for ponctual loading (save backup, per example).

Remember, you can have up to 32 partitions per media, each with individual size and blocksize.

Alain

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

HAOUI wrote: However, if you are enough confident with your media you can choose a quick format and then formatting 2GB partition will go very fast (seconds on basic ql).
And you might as well on flash media like CF as the wear levelling means that your not actually doing anything meaningful with the sector tests.

G