Q68 New users and general usage thread

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Q68 New users and general usage thread

Post by vanpeebles »

I got my Q68 last night, and what a lovely bit of kit it is, great work to all involved. I fired it up with the included card, and it loads to a windows system with a task bar etc. What is this? And how does it work? For a BBQL user it was a vision of the future :lol:

I think I'll try making my own card, with just the basics on, while I slowly get to grips with the other one.

My first plan is get my ACT files and game code copied across.

How is everyone else finding theirs? :)

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Q68 New users and general usage thread

Post by Peter »

While the possibility of several .WIN containers on a single SDHC card has advantages for experts, it might be a little confusing.

For a simpler, floppy-style usage I do this: Just put Q68_SMSQ.WIN on the card and one QLWA.WIN as user filesystem. Then I can simply insert the card into one of the sockets and type CARD_INIT <socket number> to use the card as WIN1_ or WIN2_.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

vanpeebles wrote:I got my Q68 last night, and what a lovely bit of kit it is, great work to all involved. I fired it up with the included card, and it loads to a windows system with a task bar etc. What is this? And how does it work? For a BBQL user it was a vision of the future :lol:

I think I'll try making my own card, with just the basics on, while I slowly get to grips with the other one.

My first plan is get my ACT files and game code copied across.

How is everyone else finding theirs? :)
Hi,

I setup the SD Card distributed with the Q68 with a mini boot loader. The boot loader allows selection of QL/E v3.17 and Q-DOCK.

What you started up is Q-DOCK by DIlwyn Jones, this allow easy configuration and launching of programmes in a DOCK. There is a manual in the Q-DOCK directory: "win1_qdock_"

Q-DOCK is started up is DISP_MODE 6 (512x384 Mode 33 Hi-Colour) which is the fastest Hi-Colour mode.

QL/E v3.17 starts up in DISP_MODE 5 (1024x768 Aurora 256 Colour). Unmodified QL/E works best in the Q68 High Resolution modes, but these screen mode slow the machine down. Please see Hardeware Manual Page 2 and SMSQ/E Manual Page 16 for more information on Q68 graphic modes.

I am working on getting Black Phoenix working on the Q68, which is not too hard, but takes a little time. The Black Phoenix Animation works great is Q68 DISP_MODE 1, just a little work to do to on the general Black Phoenix Q68 configuration.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

vanpeebles wrote: My first plan is get my ACT files and game code copied across.
Hi,

I have a copy of the DP Collection, I can send you a FLP image with the ACT software installed.

You can use FDI to load the FLP image as FLP1_ on the Q68.

The software should work in the Q68 DISP_MODE 1 (QL Mode 4) as expected.

Regards,

Derek
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Many thanks for the offer but, I'll try myself first, as there is all my game code files to go with it :)

I didn't seem to get a choice of what to boot though, any menu etc, it just loads straight into the first one :)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I changed the application software after I sent out the first 3 Q68 orders. Sorry, I can send a
replacement or email the QWA win file.

I have got ACT running from a FLP image file.

I mounted ACT image file with FDI command MOUNT_FDI

Using FDI_USE "FLP", I was able to run the ACT software in Q68 DISP_MODE 1. Runs extremely fast.

i also tried DISP_MODE 4 (1024x768 QL Mode 4) all seems to work, the ACT software does not know snout the higher resolution.

I will have to read the ACT manual on how to use the software.

ACT is still copyright and can not be distributed.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Would be intersting if it runs without image file, either directly, with FLP_USE, or the SUB extension.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Email would be good! I'll have to buy some more SD cards :lol:

daniel_baum
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by daniel_baum »

Hello,

A question about file transfer - is it safe to mount a QXL.win file on a Q68 SD card directly in QPC, or will this cause fragmentation?

If this is possible it would obviously be the ideal method of file transfer between PCs and QLs.

D.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

daniel_baum wrote:Hello,

A question about file transfer - is it safe to mount a QXL.win file on a Q68 SD card directly in QPC, or will this cause fragmentation?

If this is possible it would obviously be the ideal method of file transfer between PCs and QLs.

D.
Yes, it is possible and will not cause fragmentation (neither Q68 nor QPC touch the size of and allocation of space for the .win file)

But there's an even more ideal method for transferring files to and fro the SD card:

http://www.wlenerz.com/qlstuff/QxlwinReader.zip

That is QXLWinReader, a java multi platform application that allows you to drag-and-drop copy files between a PC (running Windows or Linux) or Mac and a QXL.win file without starting an emulator first.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO