QL Vision monitor has a blank screen.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Kermit
ROM Dongle

QL Vision monitor has a blank screen.

Post by Kermit »

Hi there,
As a QL joblot I have a Vision Monitor. It switches on and off, the amber led light works, The screen crackles and has static, but has no picture at all. It just stays black, nothing.
I'm aware that there are high voltages under the hood!
There's a small thing inside I can hear rattling. Any ideas?
Maybe just a TV repair guy?
As a check I've also attached a Spectrum +3 to it and still nothing......

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Vision monitor has a blank screen.

Post by tofro »

Fortunately, you seem to show a bit of healthy respect for the innards of a monitor - Yes, that can be terribly dangerous for the layman.

15 years ago, I would have bet the average TV repair guy should be able to repair that beast with the help of a circuit diagram (is on Dilwyn's site, I think). Today, I'm not so sure anymore, at least not where I live. Anyways, you might find someone still today who is a bit of knowledgeable for such old stuff, and your best bet would really be the TV repair guy. If you find one, help him by bringing the printed circuit diagram along.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Kermit
ROM Dongle

Post by Kermit »

Ok
Good call for the diagram! I'll print it off.

I use Amp Electrical in Nottingham (UK).
They help keep my late 1960's French Hi-fi in tip top shape. He's proper old school. He also does Tvs, but I think he should be able to do something. I'll give him a call tomorrow unless anyone can say if there is a simple way to get it going?
Thank you Tobias.

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

Take a look at the HT part (including the HT transformer) of the pcb. Maybe there is a desoldered part.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

chriskgnr wrote:Take a look at the HT part (including the HT transformer) of the pcb. Maybe there is a desoldered part.
If you don't know what you are doing, be very careful around around the wire with the poppy shaped connector that clips onto the side of the CRT. There will be a lot of volts there, even with the monitor unplugged, and it's libel to hang around for some time unless you discharge it.

Kermit
ROM Dongle

Post by Kermit »

I've taken it in for repair, but they said they don't do crts really now, but there was one they did last week waiting to be collected. I'm hopeful. I don't want to scrap it.