vDrive ZX: emulated ZX Microdrive

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Bloodnok
vDriveQL

Re: vDrive ZX: emulated ZX Microdrive

Post by Bloodnok »

stephen_usher wrote:Any thoughts about an internal version for the QL?
Could be refactored to replace mdv2_ I guess. Just needs a new PCB and mounting frame. If there's enough demand I'd certainly look into it. In the meantime it looks like I may be a bit busy :lol:

Timbucus
ROM Dongle

Post by Timbucus »

I would be interested in at least one internal replacement for the QL if you decided to develop one - there is just something sad about those empty slots with faulty drives in them.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi everyone!

I too am looking to bag one of these goodies when they go on-line this weekend on SMR.

Must say that the quality of production (as per the images available) plus the manual make for an impressive effort!

One small caveat for those of you, like me, who do not own the required 'MDV extension cable' - I think Charles was of the impression that every QL came with such a cable, but I for one have only ever seen the required extension cable supplied with the ZX MDVs/Interface 1 (oh! halcyon days, those were!)

You can find a suitable 16-pin (2x8) IDC/PCB Edge Connector on eBay both from the US and Taiwan (you'll need a pair, plus IDC ribbon cable to make-up the cable), but will probably pay handsomly for shipping (or wait weeks from Taiwan). I've just ordered a lot of 10 from the US for just 4 quid or so and and have since been informed by the seller that it'll cost another $22 for shipping.

You actually need to remove a pair of pins - where the MDV edge connector has an 'orientation' slot or whatever they're called - but Charles confirmed that that worked for him.

I'll go ahead and complete that connector purchase and, assuming I actually bag a vDrive as well, will have 4 pairs left over for anyone in the UK (or not so far away). If anyone wants them, you are welcome to the spares.

Timbucus
ROM Dongle

Post by Timbucus »

There are also made up ones available if people miss out on the kind offer above - I had one for my Spectrum and it works fine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-ZX-S ... SwO~hXIJMl

Too short to do the under the second drive thing needed for the QL but, fine for the first one.

At the moment if you want an original Sinclair one and don't mind paying over the odds (not sure if this is untested... :))

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-ZX-C ... Swq1JZLBwZ

caveat mine went faulty as the IDC connections get loose as you add and remove it so new is always better for actual use.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Timbucus wrote:There are also made up ones available if people miss out on the kind offer above - I had one for my Spectrum and it works fine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-ZX-S ... SwO~hXIJMl

Too short to do the under the second drive thing needed for the QL but, fine for the first one.
If you are using a vDriveQL, the connector goes to the left hand side, so no worries about the cable being too short :)

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Ahh! I was searching only for IDC/PCB Edge connectors - completely missed those two options on eBay. Good catch!

Mind-you - I seem to have missed the actual vDrive auction - seems they went on sale on SMR around 3am this morning and by 9am, both auctions were already closed...

Guess I'll need to wait for the next batch!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

martyn_hill wrote:Ahh! I was searching only for IDC/PCB Edge connectors - completely missed those two options on eBay. Good catch!

Mind-you - I seem to have missed the actual vDrive auction - seems they went on sale on SMR around 3am this morning and by 9am, both auctions were already closed...

Guess I'll need to wait for the next batch!
You didn't miss them :D

Charlie made a mistake and made the listings live rather than setting them to start in the future...

Timbucus
ROM Dongle

Post by Timbucus »

Get online quick - 4 QL left at the moment:

https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/28714

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The QL version listing is now live - https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/28715 but not the vMap as yet - I have been using the vMap today without any issues so have been talking with Charlie - a few minor changes might be needed to the manual but not sure if he wanted to investigate some further findings I reported back before he lists the vMap itself.

For those who have not read the manuals... The vMap is a small board which plugs into the internal QL microdrive sockets (the QL microdrives plug into the vMap) and then you can issue a command to say how to allocate available microdrive slots:

VMAP 1 - mdv1_ and mdv2_ remain as per the original QL, with mdv3_ to mdv8_ pointing to microdrive images on the external vDriveQL unit
VMAP 2 - mdv1_ can now be pointed to a microdrive image on the vDriveQL, the internal drives are now mdv2_ and mdv3_
VMAP 3 - mdv1_ and mdv2_ can be pointed to microdrive images on the vDriveQL, internal drives are now mdv3_ and mdv4_

and so on .....

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Ordered my vDrive :-)