Scart to HDMI upscaler

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Silvester
Gold Card

Re: Scart to HDMI upscaler

Post by Silvester »

Derek_Stewart wrote:HI,

I am hoping they would send it as a gift and the customs would not look at it closely.

But payament of the VAT is clear problem and import more than one would mean import tax and VAT.

Maybe not worth the effort.
Tricky situation, there are several items I would like from China at similar price but wouldn't like to get stung (I've heard a few horror stories). I wanted a Lattice programming cable (just over £15) but I fear I would end up paying more than UK cost of new LatticeXP2 Brevia 2 Development Kit (£36).

Back to subject thread.... RGB converter would have made nice project.

David
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Silvester wrote: Back to subject thread.... RGB converter would have made nice project.
Indeed. For years we've struggled with the availability of suitable monitors for the QL. A cheap, fairly simple project of this nature would have made a great accessory for QL, assuming we could get around any HDMI fees etc.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

You get around the hdmi fees by using a dvi connector.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I really don't see the point why the QL scene should be diverting development capacity which is nearly non-existent anyhow into something you can buy from China cheaply.

ALL the HDMI upscalers (three different makes) I have bought so far have perfectly worked with all of my QLs.
(The Q40 is a different story, unfortunately)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Piccy of a Super Nintendo running at 1080p via rgb scart to hdmi thingy

Kermit
ROM Dongle

Post by Kermit »

The old units with the white writing on are still available, you just need to look for them. There a lot of these newer units with the coloured writing. I bought one of the older units today second hand on eBay and it was easy to find.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Acorn Electron loading screen. For the price, the quality is amazing I think.

Kermit
ROM Dongle

Post by Kermit »

Just compared the older style metal upscaler via a 22" Sony Brava to a 32" Sony Crt Trinitron and a Phillips cm 8833 monitor.
The upscaler to modern flatscreen outclassed both crts by a significant margin using a QL.
Then using a Playstation 1, the upscaler was also better. I could see really defined clear bright polygons.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Kermit wrote:Just compared the older style metal upscaler via a 22" Sony Brava to a 32" Sony Crt Trinitron and a Phillips cm 8833 monitor.
The upscaler to modern flatscreen outclassed both crts by a significant margin using a QL.
Then using a Playstation 1, the upscaler was also better. I could see really defined clear bright polygons.
Do the ones you tested still manage to show the full 85 characters of a QL screen, without losing the edge characters like you might with a simple QL to SCART lead, for example?

Kermit
ROM Dongle

Post by Kermit »

No, unfortunately I still lose a couple of digits. I have 2 different Rgb cables and both have the same problem.