Issue 8 and WiFi

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Issue 8 and WiFi

Post by Dave »

Indeed.

Causes one minor problem, solves many.

With the Issue 8 having internet connectivity, it would be easy for new software to do all kinds of online distribution, automatic or manual updates, have downloadable content larger than the QL could hold, do online registration. All in all, a much nicer way to confirm how many users you have even (or especially) for free software.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:Indeed.

With the Issue 8 having internet connectivity, it would be easy for new software to do all kinds of online distribution, automatic or manual updates, have downloadable content larger than the QL could hold, do online registration. All in all, a much nicer way to confirm how many users you have even (or especially) for free software.
Start writing our first anti-virus NOW!

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Hehe. But first, write the first code to fetch and install then execute the virus. ;)

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Many many many years ago, I wrote a virus in SuperBASIC with a small assembly "utility" attached. Simply to prove it would work. It did, I "infected" a few of my own test floppies with it, then deleted all the source code and infected discs.

As far as I remember, I had an invisible file on disc, named "one space" and if there was a boot file on the floppy, I loaded and edited that to call my hidden file. The assembly somehow, I can't remember, hooked into the DIR command, read the device, and looked for a boot file before passing control to the proper DIR command.

To be honest though, it was bloody rubbish! :o

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

dilwyn wrote:

No, start by writing the virus, then sell the fix :lol: :lol: :lol:

David
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

You're a bunch of recidivists!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Silvester wrote:
dilwyn wrote:

No, start by writing the virus, then sell the fix :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drat, should have thought of that, another missed opportunity :twisted:

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Key cartridges
Hopefully someone on QL scene learns enough assembler to remove all these protections for the preserved software. Otherwise in for an awful lot of software loss in next decade :-(

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

There are (largely undocumented) patches and workarounds and hacked copies around, although my efforts to gather information for my documentation CD project were not very successful.

Agree with what you say though.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

From experience,much of it was nothing more than checking the format random number, or, the update counter (I think) in the original micro drive in mdv2. I did a bit of work years ago for Freddy V, unprotecting some games and stuff. I think Vroom was one that I did for him.

Some, like The Farmer, are absolute Bast Ards though! I never did crack that one.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.