Minerva boards...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Minerva boards...

Post by Dave »

I have space in another board I'm sending out for manufacture to slip in this little beastie.
Like most of my work, it will be an open source design.
Like most of my work, it will be an open source design.
My internal debate is, do I just want to do a basic carrier for Minerva, or should I go the trivial extra to add a battery backed clock option? Adding that also allows so no pins need to be bent on the EPROM.

What do you think?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Minerva boards...

Post by dilwyn »

Sounds like a useful idea for a simple project.

1. Is it for Minerva Mk1 or Mk2 or both? (Don't know what the original Mk2 boards were like)

2. Would the battery back up coexist happily with e.g. the one on Super Gold Card?

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The battery backed clock would be an install option - it doesn't have to be used or powered. It would effectively be Minerva MK1.5 - gaining only the clock. Yes, it would co-exist.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,
dilwyn wrote: 1. Is it for Minerva Mk1 or Mk2 or both? (Don't know what the original Mk2 boards were like)
The Minerva MKII had a I2C Interface on the Minerva Carrier board.I have 2 Minerva MKII boards, one needs a new eprom socket, which I have removed the old socket. The other Minerva MKII board need a new pin on the eprom socket. I could draw up a circuit diagram is required.
dilwyn wrote: 2. Would the battery back up coexist happily with e.g. the one on Super Gold Card?
I used to use SuperGold Card and Minerva MKII without any problem, I think the Minerva Clock took presence over the SuperGold Card Clock. But the Minerva Clock was not protected like the SuperGold Card clock. This was done with the PROT_DATE command.

Regards,

Derek
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Dave wrote:I have space in another board I'm sending out for manufacture to slip in this little beastie.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 4.05.02 PM.png

My internal debate is, do I just want to do a basic carrier for Minerva, or should I go the trivial extra to add a battery backed clock option? Adding that also allows so no pins need to be bent on the EPROM.

What do you think?
Wow ;)

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Dave

Please count me in for at least one of those Minerva boards - I'd like the battery-backed clock option, if its viable, but not essential.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

It looks like the economics of it mean there won't be a clock option. I'm comfortable with that because there will be something else with Minerva and a battery backed clock in the next few months. It's much cheaper to incorporate it into something else than to to it as a standalone board. Meanwhile, I am still waiting on the turned pins to arrive so I can correctly size the holes.

I'll sell the boards with the SMD component mounted, but the pins will need hand soldering - that way it can be shipped as first class mail instead of parcel mail. That cuts shipping costs by 80%+. If people order it with something else that is going parcel mail anyway, I'll mount the pins for them.

papanillu
ROM Dongle

Post by papanillu »

Hi Dave,

I would like to get one on these minerva boards,
How should i do?

Thanks

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Dave wrote:It looks like the economics of it mean there won't be a clock option. I'm comfortable with that because there will be something else with Minerva and a battery backed clock in the next few months. It's much cheaper to incorporate it into something else than to to it as a standalone board. Meanwhile, I am still waiting on the turned pins to arrive so I can correctly size the holes.

I'll sell the boards with the SMD component mounted, but the pins will need hand soldering - that way it can be shipped as first class mail instead of parcel mail. That cuts shipping costs by 80%+. If people order it with something else that is going parcel mail anyway, I'll mount the pins for them.
Hi Dave,

I would only need the PCB.

I do lead free SMD soldering easily.

I require to get rid of the bugged QDOS ROMs....

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Derek_Stewart wrote: I require to get rid of the bugged QDOS ROMs....
MG is really not bad, in my opinion. (if you fix the POINT bug with TK2)

JM has tricked me in places, and JS is somewhere in-between.

But agree Minerva is even nicer.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO