Which video output do you use? Why?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

Which video output do you use?

RGB output
88%
Composite output from RGB port
8%
UHF output from modulator
4%
Something else.
No votes

Total votes: 24

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Which video output do you use? Why?

Post by Dave »

A quick poll. The answers will result in a possible new small card that can improve the QL's video output quality. If you use original QL (not Aurora) please answer this quick survey. If you could also just say a little bit about your video output set-up (monitor, CRT, LCD, etc. and mode 4 or 8).

If you think another option should be added, let me know and I'll edit the poll.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Which video output do you use? Why?

Post by dilwyn »

Just in case anyone is wondering (given I'm only the third voter) you have to login to be able to vote :)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

We don't want google, baidu and spammers voting, now do we? :p

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Dave we will produce the SGC 2/3? ;)

WIth better grapghics mode and RGB / real QL compatibility and the best 680xx processor and 16 MB ram? ;)

Timbucus
ROM Dongle

Post by Timbucus »

You asked why - because a QL RGB to SCART cable on my CRT TV produces a pretty authentic and clear display... I can then use Mode 4 or Mode 8 depending on what I want. I struggled with just the UHF for a long time...

georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Timbucus wrote:You asked why - because a QL RGB to SCART cable on my CRT TV produces a pretty authentic and clear display... I can then use Mode 4 or Mode 8 depending on what I want. I struggled with just the UHF for a long time...
I have a TV/ monitor with poor connectivity. It supports just composite (separate red, white, and yellow leads) and DVI. I infer from your post that the QL RGB socket actually includes a composite signal. Does anyone know if there is a QL RGB to composite cable?

Currently, I use UHF, though this causes problems with programs like C1 FORTH that don't fit on the screen-either my UHF signal is a bit too flaky for my monitor/TV or it requires hi-res mode.

Thanks in advance,
Georgeo.

P.S. I realise I could get a better monitor, though I don't want to do that.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

georgeo wrote: I have a TV/ monitor with poor connectivity. It supports just composite (separate red, white, and yellow leads) and DVI. I infer from your post that the QL RGB socket actually includes a composite signal. Does anyone know if there is a QL RGB to composite cable?
Converting RGB to composite is not straightforward as the three signals have to be combined in one signal which requires circuitry to modulate the colour signal onto a subcarrier. Likewise, converting composite to RGB also requires similar electronic circuitry to decode the signals.
P.S. I realise I could get a better monitor, though I don't want to do that.
The problem with monitors these days is that they usually don't support the QL's TV-standard resolution. The best thing IMHO is to buy a small TV with SCART connector and use the simple circuitry from this page to adapt the QL's RGB output.
(I'm not sure however if all TV's support RGB on their SCART input...).

Jan.

cercamon
ROM Dongle

Post by cercamon »

Just voted for the RGB output (video cable acquired at RetroComputerShack).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-QL-H ... xyhXRTOw9P

I'm using it with a 22" Samsung LED TV directly into the SCART input or with a SCART to HDMI converter. More or less same result (good).
Usual problem when using the 80-column mode with side margins.

Real QL beginner ;)
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Dave

I actually use both RGB (via an RGB -> SCART cable) and Composite Video - via a hand-made cable in to the same small TV so that I can switch between two QLs whilst testing Networking and other stuff.

I also have an RGB to HDMI converter when connected to another portable TV. With that option, I can use the full 85 column display.

Ideally, I would like to see VGA output - probably 1024x768 XGA so integral line/pixel multiples of the native QL modes can be rendered.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I use a Vision QL monitor via the QL RGB socket when I have room for that thing on my desk. It is starting to show its age and picture is getting fuzzy.

Alternatively, I use a Technika 17 inch TV with a QL RGB to SCART lead and just put up with the loss of a few characters at the edges. The picture quality is good.

Thirdly I use a video scalar to connect the QL to that TV's HDMI input - this also works on a 21" LG monitor with HDMI input I have here. The picture does not fill the screen on the monitor (perfectly usable though), but is fine with the Technika TV. Both give good quality steady picture.

I have two QLs, one with Gold Card, the other with 512K RAM and a disk interface, so either gets used with either screen at random as required. I don't have a QL set up permanently, just used ad-hoc when required due to lack of space!